What should be conquest critical?

Currently every building has the ConquestCritical class and almost every unit as well. It's been proposed that some buildings such as houses and fields should not count against victory by conquest. Back when houses could train females, it made sense to keep them conquest critical, since a player could conceivably continue a game with only a house. That is no longer the case. I don't think conquest should be so tedious that every single enemy building and unit needs to be destroyed to defeat them. Any thoughts?

In AOK, I found it very annoying to have to destroy every enemy building and units (particularly villagers) to win. Market, kennels, houses, farms, corrals, and villagers should not be conquest critical, I think. Since the remaining soldiers will still be an hassle, we could also consider implementing an "inferiority" feature. When a player got far less soldiers than the weakest of its opponents, these units could be circled on the minimap (and we could also remove the fog of war around them on the normal map) to avoid any boring endless game. (see the game named Praetorians)

Soldiers (and maybe siege and war ships) are the only units that should be conquest critical IMO.

Not Civ Centres? Not Fortresses or Barracks? :)

Buildings:

-- Anything that can produce a unit.

-- All Special Buildings.

Units:

-- All units, including Traders, Healers, etc. In a team game, a player that is pushed to near defeat can still assist his allies.

I was just referring to units because they are easy. Structures are a bit trickier to define. :)

I also think that civil centers shouldn't really train military units. If a player has only female citizens and traders, they shouldn't be able to build any structures that can train military units, IMO. :)

That would create a conundrum, see, because then you can't train any units at the beginning that can build any of the 2nd tier structures.

I agree that villagers should remain conquest critical, but to avoid tedious searches when playing versus an AI opponent the AIs should implement a surrender condition. The minimal condition could be something like no dropsites left and not enough resources to build a new civ center. A more elaborate condition would be to compare the strength of the own team with the strength of the other team and give up if the situation is hopeless.

You do start with some soldiers on most maps.

Perhaps we should make converting happen very, very quickly if you don't have some of your own solders nearby. That way, if a player only has female citizens, the enemy can just convert them all, instead of just dispatching them. In that case, they could be conquest critical.

I like how Starcraft II deals with endgame scenarios. If your base is destroyed and you don't rebuild it, you get revealed to your enemies. We could do the same with CCs - lose your CC and after a short time you get revealed to your enemies. Although that may make more sense in a modern setting like SCII and less sense in the context of 0 A.D., it's one way of handling conquest.