Aura ideas

howlingflute

I am really looking forward to when auras are implemented; healers will actually heal nearby units and heroes will actually make a difference in battle. I was wondering how auras might be represented in game. I think if a unit gets clicked it should show the extent of was auras they are giving off and maybe there would be something in the gui which shows what effects that the unit is getting from auras produced by other entities. I made a quick mock up of one possible way to show the extent of a healers aura. (With two different possible colors) I also think that the auras should only display if the unit producing them is selected (otherwise the screen would get too cluttered). I am sure there are better ways to do this but this is just one possible way. (I am secretly hoping by posting these mock ups I inspire someone to actually implement auras :D ) I would implement them myself if I could figure out the code, but I think this coding is a bit beyond me :( .

QEqv4.jpg

ZHbGR.jpg

In Warcraft 3, there were arts in the ground around the originary unit of the aura and simpler art (or just a light under the unit) on the units affected by the aura, like the screenshot below:

Aura Sample in Warcraft 3

In Age of Mythology, altough, the aura system was more realistic: the heroes accumulate a special resource (that increased over time), and when the special resource reached its max and the hero was in combat, the hero shouts a war shout and the units within the radius shout back, gaining the "aura" bonus for a short period of time. (I couldn't find a screenshot of it, sorry!)

Having a small effect on each unit under the influence of a given aura was also the way that DoW did things, and I quite liked it. It would probably be more difficult than the suggestion in the first post but much better. I don't think it would hurt immersion if there were some small effect that told you if an aura was active. For what it's worth, I would prefer an effect on each under the influence of the aura over an effect on the unit emanating it,