Localisation of 0 A.D. and storage of text data

Guest idk

Hi everbody

I would like to contribute to your game project as a translator.

My first question would be how you intend to store the game's text data.

So much for now.

Edited by idk

Don't know - we haven't started implementing any translation support yet, and will need to figure out what's the best way of doing it, and don't have any real plans so far. (I expect we should reuse some existing system and avoid doing anything novel ourselves, so suggestions of software or community setups that have worked or not worked for similar types of project would be particularly useful :))

In SuperTuxKart, we use tinygettext and Unicode UTF-32, which allows Chinese and all other fancy letters, provided we have the fonts. So far it's worked fairly well, and Launchpad is quite nice as a translating environment. Unfortunately, we had to make the translators register at Launchpad since there were someone vandalizing the translations. Apart from that, everything seems to work well.

(I did not implement any of this as I am not a programmer, but I am sure the SuperTuxKart programmers would answer some questions if contacted.)

• 6 months later...

I want to push these thread. The deveoping of 0ad goes very fast and I think the the right direction, except the translation support. Please implement this for max gaming experience. I would also like to translate 0ad to German.

Edited by raymond

I want to push these thread. The deveoping of 0ad goes very fast and I think the the right direction, except the translation support. Please implement this for max gaming experience. I would also like to translate 0ad to German.

Please don't post the exact same message in several topics. We do intend to implement a translation system, however as mentioned in other places we want to wait until the English text is closer to being finished. Otherwise the translation work would need to be redone as soon as the English text changes and would risk being outdated quickly - and it would be worse having incorrect translations than no translation at all. Also, it's a higher priority to get the gameplay features done. We do intend to have about a year of beta releases as we test the game and balance things. And implement non-gameplay things, and optimize the engine, so there should be plenty of time for translation work.

• 1 year later...

Don't know - we haven't started implementing any translation support yet, and will need to figure out what's the best way of doing it, and don't have any real plans so far. (I expect we should reuse some existing system and avoid doing anything novel ourselves, so suggestions of software or community setups that have worked or not worked for similar types of project would be particularly useful smile.gif)

There is not many translation framework out there but gettext, actually. Would you accept an internationalization patch that would make the game translatable? I saw a lot of offers to translate (with your declines), but no i18n offer so I'm giving it a try :)

I think that your argument saying that the english text changes too much to let the translators start is a bit weak: these people want to help and you really should consider enabling them to help you guys. From my experience as a i18n'er, translators sometimes become contributors on other aspects too...