Problem with unloading ships.

NOXAS1

I was playing an island hopper map versus the AI and I noticed that they don't island hop yet (Idk if that's just because of the development stage but I just thought I'd put that out there) and my real "problem" if you will is that I garrisoned troops inside my greek warships and that was flawless. However unloading them had some side effects.

1. Some units got unloaded inside the water instead of out on land. Which kind of made my invasion force useless do to the fact that a lot of my army was now inside the water and unable to really move from there to the land.

2. When some units got in the water after I tried to unload my troops on the AI's Island they either disappeared or died. I'm not sure because I didn't see any bodies.

I was wondering if you guys could fix it so that when troopers land (I tried to land 8 from one ship and only 4 made it on land, the other 4 were in the water) they kind of all get on the land (all spread out on the beach instead of in a small group in front of the ship causing landings to be nearly fatal to my forces) and if there is no room to land, then the troops that can't land have to move to another piece of land to land.

Thank you for your time

Until this is fixed, I have found it useful to unload troops a few at a time, and if they unload into the water you can re-garrison them into the ship. If they disappear into oblivion (something I've seen too), then they are gone. Hold a public funeral, burn the flesh of a sacrificial goat in effigy, and move on. ;)

Make a model for funeral pyre to go into ocean (just for Shiz and giggles) lol :) Thanks for that fast reply and well that's a good quick fix if I do a few at a time. Oh and is it possible that units on ships will be implemented in a future alpha? (7,8,9)

Edited by NOXAS1

C++ is probably not a good place to start if you've never used it before, especially since game programming, and especially as large a project as 0 A.D. JavaScript (which hasn't got anything in common with Java apart from the name) is probably a better choice though. I'm not a programmer, so I don't know where to start, but if you've never programmed at all it's probably a good idea to start at the very beginning and learn the basics. Be prepared that it will take a lot of time to get to the point where you can contribute if you've never programmed in any language at all though.

It shouldn't take too long to get to a point where you can make a useful contribution to 0 A.D. by learning JavaScript.

This tutorial will give you a good start, although as with most JavaScript tutorials it focuses on scripting for the web. Still, it should give you a good understanding of the language and from there you can start taking a look through the JavaScript files used by 0 A.D. - make small modifications, run the game, see what changes, rinse and repeat.