Carthaginians- Alpha 7?

mrjeremister

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stop.... SVN Time.

:banana:While Michael / Mythos is being so evil, I'll download the SVN and find out... :banana:

(will be nice to have some scoops for 0ad.me.) By the way, if there is any new assets that come up that you dont want me screaming "OMG WTF RTS. WE ARE GETTING X CIVILIZATION IN NEXT RELEASE!" email me. xD :cheers:

Ok then:

The following views before that grey bar that indicates that it is no longer my post is purely speculation by me and don't represent official views of anyone with the badge under their name that says the word TEAM on it. LOL.gif

I am downloading from svn and one of the files is called. Cart_wall_tower_end_left.xml banana.gif

:)

EDIT: There is alot of (train) CART related objects downloading... citizens pushing carts, carts carrying javelinists... etc etc.

EDIT2: Has the art license changed since last release? It says its: Updated?

EDIT3: These new assets are not just going to disappear in the next release if I use them in maps now, are they?

Edited by asmartgoat

Moin,

*w00t* for the Carthago preview in svn trunk !

I really like the buildings and troops. But I have a few questions:

Carthago was known to prefer mercenaries instead of fighting themself. 0ad reflects this, as most units are not from north africa. But I wonder, why are those mercenaries able to gain experience/loot. It would be better, imho, if those mercenaries are treated like super units, and not gain experience. An other suggestion is that those mercenaries dont rez in civil center or barracks but in special buildings. So one should build an Iberian house to get access to Iberian slingers.

The question is what kind of native troops should Carthago have? My army list only has Punic heavy cavalry (spear, shield) and citizen spearmen (long spear, shield) as native troops and Gallic, Iberian, and Nubian as mercenaries.

The castle does not offer siege machines. Only Hero's and the elephant. Will Carthago get war machines?

The heros can not garrison in any building, lack stats and gimmicks. I guess, there is a bit more work at this point missing.

ciao,Kephra

Moin,

*w00t* for the Carthago preview in svn trunk !

I really like the buildings and troops. But I have a few questions:

Carthago was known to prefer mercenaries instead of fighting themself. 0ad reflects this, as most units are not from north africa. But I wonder, why are those mercenaries able to gain experience/loot. It would be better, imho, if those mercenaries are treated like super units, and not gain experience. An other suggestion is that those mercenaries dont rez in civil center or barracks but in special buildings. So one should build an Iberian house to get access to Iberian slingers.

The question is what kind of native troops should Carthago have? My army list only has Punic heavy cavalry (spear, shield) and citizen spearmen (long spear, shield) as native troops and Gallic, Iberian, and Nubian as mercenaries.

The castle does not offer siege machines. Only Hero's and the elephant. Will Carthago get war machines?

The heros can not garrison in any building, lack stats and gimmicks. I guess, there is a bit more work at this point missing.

ciao,Kephra

Yeah, there is a lot of work to do yet on them. I'm glad you like what you see so far!

As far as Mercenaries go, yeah, I've been trying to think of ways to differentiate them more from "regular" troops. One idea is to give Carthage a special build ("Embassy"?) where they are trained. I think preventing them from gaining Loot is another good idea.

Native Carthaginian troops are: Libyan Spearman, Sacred Band, and War Elephant. The rest are all mercenaries.

Carthage is slated to get the Ballista stone thrower and an Oxybeles bolt shooter for siege engines. They are also slated to get the full range of warships, Light (Bireme), Medium (Trireme), and Heavy (Quinquereme). The only other faction to have the full line of warships is Rome. (y)

maybe you could justify an embassy-type building by simply repurposing the carthaginian barracks? maybe it could be designed to resemble an embassy and be named appropriately, perhaps with some additional unique technologies to replace some techs, especially for unit upgrades (if techs are intended like AOK or AOM) since theyre mercenaries

here's an example. im just gonna go off of what little i know about the carthaginians in the game as just toss out these ideas:

so you build the carthaginian barracks/embassy and you are presented with the options to train/hire the new mercenaries. they could perhaps have very fast train-times (a celtic swordsman will be trained for the carthaginians much faster than an equivalent roman swordsman, for instance) and perhaps cost mostly metal instead of food, but perhaps at higher rates than others. perhaps they combined average cost of other units of that type plus an extra 50% of that (so if, say, a greek archer costs 50 food and 50 wood, a carthaginian archer would cost 100 metal based on that plus another fifty for its specific mercenary status, so a carthaginian mercenary archer would cost 150 metal all in all. the trade-off is that the carthaginian mercenary units are much more powerful and gain experience faster

it could also be that, unique to the carthaginians, their units have only one upgraded rank, "Professional," which completely bypasses the intermediary stage of other civs so that their units become "Elites" much faster

the barracks/embassy could also, in place of some technologies that other civs would get, have some completely unique technologies which serve similar functions but are redecorated to be more themed around diplomatic activities. for example, if theres a "Conscription" technology for the hellenes or romans that lets their citizen-soldiers train faster, the carthaginians would instead have "Diplomacy" which would also trains their units faster but at a slightly slower or faster rate or for more or less resources. an in-universe justification for this could be taht, through diplomacy, the mercs are more willing to join the carthaginians whereas the conscripts are dragged from their homes by the MPs and forcibly trained, which may be met with opposition by the conscripts themselves in that they dont fight as well when forced. or something like that; as i said, im just tossing out ideas

also, i noticed in the video that was posted that trees dont seem to fall when chopped for lumber; is that gonna be changed in later releases? because that was one thing i never really liked in Empire Earth

kart? Why not cart? hmmm
That was originally done to help to visually differentiate from celt in the folder/file structures. Here is the decoder:

brit - britons

celt - celt

gaul - gallic

hele - hellenes

iber - iberians

kart - carthaginians

mace - macedonians

pers - persian

pole - poleis

rome - roman

Some new units are coming in through the SVN

Carthaginians\infantry_archer_a

Carthaginians\infantry_archer_b

Carthaginians\infantry_archer_c

shields\kart_archer_a

shields\kart_archer_e

kart? Why not cart? hmmm

and an updated barracks.

2GeH8.jpg

PS: If anyone here has animation experience, please apply. The archer animations are 7 years old and could use some updating. Plus we need attack animations where they take the arrow from their hip quiver instead of their backs.

• 3 weeks later...

The Carthaginian merchant ship startles me. First, its texture is completely different from anything else in the game and therefore does not fit in with the rest at all, and second, it looks much more like a warship than a civilian vessel. I expected a slightly re-done, re-skinned Iberian merchant ship for Carthage. What are your plans there?

I don't see how it's textures are so different to other ships, if anything my Celt ship textures are the most incongruous.

0ADmerchantships.jpg

However, the guys are working on a new navy for the Carthaginians and this probably will include updates to the textures.

I was researching the harbour in Carthage last week and came across this fine reconstruction:

There are also some other interesting videos on that channel.

The video you posted is not available in Germany.

Anyway, the question whether this style of ship should be considered a merchant vessel still stands. It seems really more of a bireme to me.

Oh, and I really love the new Carthaginian docks. The "Super Dock" is going to be the Special Building for Carthage? (they lack one currently in the DD) Or "just" a editor building? If the first, what are it's advantages over a common dock?

Edited by SMST

:( I wish they'd only block the video's audio, and not the entire thing.

Oh, and I really love the new Carthaginian docks. The "Super Dock" is going to be the Special Building for Carthage? (they lack one currently in the DD) Or "just" a editor building? If the first, what are it's advantages over a common dock?

I think I'll let Mythos answer that question. I've currently made the super dock buildable in-game by citizen soldiers, however our new dock building restrictions prevent it from being built, but we're working on that. I've said too much ;)

The video you posted is not available in Germany.

Anyway, the question whether this style of ship should be considered a merchant vessel still stands. It seems really more of a bireme to me.

:( I wish they'd only block the video's audio, and not the entire thing.

I think I'll let Mythos answer that question. I've currently made the super dock buildable in-game by citizen soldiers, however our new dock building restrictions prevent it from being built, but we're working on that. I've said too much ;)

This is also going on my nerves, because I'm from Germany too, but there's a little workaround with proxy-servers, therefore you've received a private message, SMST ;)

If there are other people from Germany or China or whereever the Internet is censored, just send me a message ;)

edit: Thanks for the link, Pureon, these videos of the reconstructions are great on that channel, and the port really looks like the one who someone here in the forums has already mapped.

Edited by Almin