The ALPHA 7 PREVIEW thread!

Mythos_Ruler

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mythos perhaps we could make a mod that adds special units like these as mercenaries purchasable from forts (or even temples) to all factions?

Perhaps a "mercenary camp" building where this is possible. I already had the idea of making a special "embassy" building for Carthage where they train all of their mercenary citizen-soldiers.

How about a tavern type setup where any civ can hire randomly generated units from other civs? That way instead of being able to build an army of say, toxotes , you could only hire one at a time. It could have the unit show up as available until hired or until it just as randomly goes away. Perhaps it could be like a garrisoned building that is accessible to anyone.

Since we have real capes now, I've been going through and gradually updating all the unit textures that have capes textured into them. It's a very good thing that we've managed to save most of the original Photoshop files. So far it has been a relatively painless process. But then I opened the Alexander Photoshop file, turned off the cape layer, and saw this underneath:

DiHkr.png

As you can see I had to completely redo the chest and back of the texture. Voila:

kXwLd.png

I'll add a sword strap too.

I hate to say this, but the textured capes looked better.

EDIT: I take back what I said earlier. They do look odd at close zoom levels, but it is hardly noticeable at ingame zoom levels. Plus, it is much more handy for modders.:)

Edited by SMST

• 2 weeks later...

I do not like the new Trireme, to be honest. Scale is way off (it is almost as large as the Roman Quinquereme!), the texture doesn't fit that well with the others and it is not as "aerodynamic" (if I might say so :P) as the former one. I do like the ram section at the front better, but other than that, I wish the old one would stay.

Well, if we make it any smaller it'll be almost as small as the Merchant Ship :) The texture fits quite well, i think. Compare it with the Greek Merchant Ship, and you'll see. This is mostly based on the Olympias. The old one really looked like something outta AOEO, IMHO :) I'd say the old one was inconsistent with the current style of the ships.

Maybe Michael will expound more on the subject, as my limited knowledge may be flawed :)

EDIT Oh, yeah. The mast needs to be thicker :P Our observant artist Pureon noticed that a while ago ;)

This is actually the same size (lengthwise) as the Persian Trireme. It's likely we'll just scale down the triremes instead of scaling up the Quinquereme, which is already massive.

EDIT: In my mind there simply is no comparison between the old and new trireme. The new trireme has much better geometry. The texture though, I agree, could use some more "character," and that's something I'll work on. :)

qhpOT.jpg

it does look very good. as i said though, the masts are matches. they should be comparable in strength to those of the old trireme. oh and when it comes to the texture you should make the eye on the fuselage bow (sorry for my english haha) stick out more, bigger and with brighter colours like on the old ship, as it's a signature feature of a greek trireme :) apart from that it's excellent imo.

Edited by Android GRRR

one of my main complaints about the ships is the deck is pretty much devoid of details. to me, the part of the ship that is seen most often should have the most details. Now I know these images are without props and etc, but even with the props, the tops of ships should be redesigned imo to make it look like they are actually used.

here is a pic that illustrates what I mean, and what kind of details could be used.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6d/Trireme_1.jpg

Edited by theShadow