The ALPHA 7 PREVIEW thread!

Mythos_Ruler

Gallic Fields

Players: 3

Factions: All Celt

Biome: Temperate (Heavy on all 4 resources)

Abstract:

Defend your Gallic outpost against attacks from your treacherous neighbors! They are your cousins by ancestry, but no friends of yours!

And watch out for marauding Romans! Oily scum, they are, who drink watered wine! Pagh!

1SoI4.jpg

You-Shall-Not-Pass.png

celtic_fortress.jpg

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bridges are two side models with raised, flattened ground between, yeah.

And the map is committed to the Public repository if you have the SVN version of the game.

SICILIA

Players: 2

Factions: Carthage vs. Greece

Biome: Mediterranean (Medium amount of wood and animals, but heavy on stone and metal).

Abstract: Carthage and Syracuse duke it out over the interior of that great island, Sicily. Syracuse starts the match with a corps of Thracian mercenaries, while Carthage begins with a battalion of Celtic mercenaries.

V2yaB.jpg

celtic_fortress.jpg

I posted this on IRC, but I thought I'd put it here also.

Wanted to discuss the possibility of something like that for settlements versus just using a settlement building and converting it to a civil center. BFME 1 had castles and smaller outposts (outposts didn't have gates) that were placed in predetermined spots on the map. They started out as a plot of ruins or supplies but could be claimed and built. If destroyed, they reverted back to the small "plot." They also threw in a few farm plots around the map that were more difficult to protect. It was actually a very fun concept and it worked pretty well. Of course, in BFME 1 you could only construct buildings in predetermined plots inside a castle or outpost (unless it was a special map, like a fortress).

I think maybe we could do a more hybrid concept combining the building styles of both the restricted plot building of BFME 1 and the free building of BFME 2 / AoE into one game. (Taking the best of both.) We could have a little plot in the center of a territory that could be converted into a small fortified area. We could then put some build plots in this fortified area for building predetermined things (although there would still be some options). The rest of the territory would be free build. The fortified area in the center would be upgraded with each phase to be stronger. (It would also be aesthetically nicer to show the transformation from a village to a city)

I think switching to a BfME1/AOE hybrid concept is huge feature creep.

In my mind there are different levels of feature creep.

Good

- Finding yourself with time on your hands, so you decide to add a high level feature like resource shuttling that replaces an earlier resource concept (gather auras) that had as many problems as it solved.

- Adding a feature here and there where the design document is fuzzy or inadequate.

So/So

- Minor features that can be implemented within an hour, like when I made Houses train female citizens for testing purposes and no one objected. This wasn't even really "adding a feature" per se, just shifting a feature (training) from one building to another.

Bad

- Adding complexity and features to an existing feature (settlements) that currently has no problem in concept or design. The BfME1 concept will require a complete redesign of the settlement concept, design and testing of these "upgradeable plots" (what will we put there?), and more artwork than planned. How are Civic Centres included in this concept?

TBH, I have no trouble with the concept itself. Personally, I'd like to have more buildings with more diffuse responsibilities between them. But at this late stage? Not so sure. On the other hand, I've proposed a Curtain Wall design that's feature creep, but then again, the design document is fuzzy there. The design document is super clear on settlements.

True, although some things might be worth some extra time. Just thought it would be better to mention it now and get some discussion rather than say something after they were already implemented.

If we did it, then I think they would need to look and function differently for each faction. How would you propose "capturing" an unclaimed settlement?

Their only in SVN at the moment? Yeah. If so i'll have a map ready for the first day of alpha 7.

I'll start off by replacing all trees with them, and i'll document performance hits. I'll probably only use them in the scattered trees and along the river in my arabian nights map.

Edited by asmartgoat

Their only in SVN at the moment? Yeah. If so i'll have a map ready for the first day of alpha 7.

I'll start off by replacing all trees with them, and i'll document performance hits. I'll probably only use them in the scattered trees and along the river in my arabian nights map.

Yeah, only in SVN for now. They look good sprinkled among the Senegal Date Palms. Doing so adds a touch of variety and detail, while minimizing any possible performance hit.

OASIS II

Players: 2

Factions: Carthage vs. Greece

Biome: Desert (relatively low on wood and animals, but heavy on stone, metal, and treasures).

Abstract: An old favorite. An otherwise wide-open, flat desert map is pierced in the center by a lush oasis.

Oasis-II.jpg

We'll probably make a special structure for Carthage that does the same thing as the Royal Stoa does for the Greeks.

If we did it, then I think they would need to look and function differently for each faction. How would you propose "capturing" an unclaimed settlement?

Settlements would change ownership to whoever was nearby. You would have to keep units there or it would revert to Gaia or change to another player. To actually claim it, you would simply select the settlement and click on an icon for building it. (It would have a significant cost.) As it is being constructed, it would grow in size. When destroyed, it would revert back to a settlement.

Here are a few videos. (Keep in mind that these castles had to contain all the buildings, while our settlements do not, so ours would not need to be as large.)

Shows Gondor and Rohan castles.

Shows a morder castle (doesn't have walls) get destroyed. It reverts back to a settlement.