0AD Game Guide

asmartgoat

0A.D. Game Guide

The unofficial game guide in PDF Format.

gameguide.png

This is a 70 Page guide, it's expected to get bigger and is by no means finished.

Revision 4 Contains many new changes including:

- Gramatical changes

- Chapter Organizing

- Introduction to 0A.D. Section

- Stances

and much more...

It's all CC-BY-SA :)

Download (900kb) it from the new an improved 0AD.me (You need to be logged in, new site cannot accept old logins)

If you have a gripe about Registering to it, remember you'll get access to tonnes of 0AD Maps with NO WAIT. :cheers:

Enjoy!

Edited by asmartgoat

This isn't bad at all. I have some criticisms. They are minor at this stage, but I think I should throw them out there before your guide grows too large. :)

1. Terminology

- Train units.

- Construct buildings.

- Research technology.

2. Text and Formatting

I would use a modified "outline" format, like this:

Large sections use headers with Bold, UPPER CASE, large size (18-pt would be fine), non-serif font. Use numbers, like 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, and left-justify. Don't center anything.

Then sections below those can use 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, etc. in the headers, in a smaller, bold, non-serif font. Body text (all the information), will use a 12-point serif font like what you are using already. Currently the body text is too big.

Also, try to be neutral as possible, that means using alphabetical order and other neutral methods.

Sample:

2.0 FACTIONS

The game has 6 main factions based upon 6 civilizations which lived between the years 500BC and 1BC. Each faction represents a civilization at its peak, and each has distinct advantages and disadvantages in the areas of Soldiers, Heroes, Navy, Buildings, Technology, and Economy.

2.1 The Carthaginians

Abstract: The Carthaginians were a Phoenician people who settled Tunisia in the...

Soldiers:

Heroes:

Navy:

Buildings:

Technology:

Economy:

2.2 The Celts (The Gauls and Britons)

Abstract: The term "Celt" is a broad term describing many groups and tribes of people...

Soldiers:

Heroes:

Navy:

Buildings:

Technology:

Economy:

2.3 The Hellenes (The Greeks and Macedonians)

Abstract: The Hellenes are the forefathers of Western civilization...

Soldiers:

Heroes:

Navy:

Buildings:

Technology:

Economy:

2.4 The Iberians

Abstract: The inhabitants of the Iberian Peninsula...

Soldiers:

Heroes:

Navy:

Buildings:

Technology:

Economy:

2.5 The Persians

Abstract: Ancient Persia is a rough and hard land, giving rise to a hardy people who forged...

Soldiers:

Heroes:

Navy:

Buildings:

Technology:

Economy:

2.6 The Romans

Abstract: Rome of this age is not yet the imperial powerhouse it is destined to become...

Soldiers:

Heroes:

Navy:

Buildings:

Technology:

Economy:

Also, a rundown of all the building and unit types would be most helpful!

What do you think? :)

I found a typo in your guide;

Interesting:

• A successful boom can pwn anyone, but a noob can rush you in the first

minute of the came and your dead.

Interesting:

• A successful boom can pwn anyone, but a noob can rush you in the first

minute of the game and your dead.

beside that a great guide (i like the screens) :)

thank you :victory:

for me the problem is that i use a different password for every site i'm registered, so, if i can avoid to register to the site, i prefer not to register

maybe you could relax permissions also for arabian night's map ;)

The problem is that my host has complained that I've had a large increase in Map downloads but I can't offset the cost increase of my hosting with ads because people stay on the site just for on average :45 just to download something. Feel free to sign in with facebook... ;)

- Train units.

- Construct buildings.

- Research technology.

I suppose building buildings is not correct language. I'll place that into the guide.

I'll add more faction information today.

I found a typo in your guide...

That's fixed for next iteration. Thanks for pointing that out.

Perhaps lets work together?

http://www.wildfireg...showtopic=14926

For sure.

I'll place the source document for download on the same page once I've implemented all the suggested changes.

Here is everything you want to know about the game design. Some things may be out of date (like seasons), so ask if you are unsure. :)

http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Design_Document

Technologies aren't implemented yet, but you can get a general idea for each civilization from their civilization profiles in the wiki.

e.g. http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Civ%3A_Hellenes#TECHNOLOGIES

Here is everything you want to know about the game design. Some things may be out of date (like seasons), so ask if you are unsure. :)

http://trac.wildfire...Design_Document

Technologies aren't implemented yet, but you can get a general idea for each civilization from their civilization profiles in the wiki.

e.g. http://trac.wildfire...es#TECHNOLOGIES

Thanks for that. :)

I'm not done my Iberian Profile yet, so it'll be a little until I get it done =)

Oh, didn't read your post (hadn't refreshed.)

All the information of factions in the guide is 2-3 pages but is just a basic overview of

Names of soldiers boats and ships

Heroes (in detail with history, aura etc)

Technologies.

Heh, not sure whether anyone would read 50 pages before playing a game... oh wait, I know of one person... and when he reads up on all the facts, while I just try a little of everything, I will be doomed. Thanks guys. ;)

(Just kidding - except that I will be doomed. That's for sure.)

Hey, this link valid? As in can people donate to WFG using that paypal link.

http://wildfiregames...page.php?p=6438

I put it in the guide. But I can remotely change it because i redirect it through my URL Shortener.

Anyway, New Guide up! With 300% more information.

That should be correct yeah. I suggest not putting a paypal link through a URL shortener (if you're just linking to the page on the 0 A.D. web site forget about the following :) ), when it comes to link where people are to pay money it's better to show the actual link as that's more trustworthy. I mean "Click this link you don't know where it will take you and you can pay some money" doesn't sound too good ;)

@feneur I'm not that evil to go into my database and change it... too much work. xD

I was just making sure that I could change it if that was an old paypal email / email of a old contributor since the page is from 6 years ago. I'll Direct link it in the next release.

@Arthur_D

it has 20 Pages of stats and history of units, It also has essientially everything to play the game. You can skip it by clicking on the links in the contents sidebar thing.

@mrjeremister could you please add it in, i wont have time for the next week sorry.

Basic Format

x.0 - 24PT Bold

Liberation Sans

x.1-9

20PT Bold

Liberation Sans

Small titles 16PT Bold

Liberation sans

Body 16PT

Liberation Serif

http://www.dafont.com/liberation-serif.font

http://www.dafont.com/liberation-sans.font

Edited by asmartgoat

Thanks for your patience the website is now back up and fully functional...

As for the corrupted database lets just say... he isn't living anymore.

Any problems feel free to post here or email me@NOSPAMluke.asia (remove the nospam manually)

EDIT: DOWN AGAIN, Fixing an underlying problem. Will be back up in 2 hours from last edited time.

EDIT: Back up but without attachments.. I've re uploaded my maps but will need help with the other maps. Feel free to upload your maps there.

Edited by asmartgoat

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...