OSX: Libenet References Use Absolute Paths (Game Fails To Run)

Kimball

I realize this is a known issue to some of the programming dept, but I wanted to make sure it was documented somewhere as well.

System Information:

HW: MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2009)

2.8 GHz

4 GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M & 9600M GT

64-bit kernel enabled

GV: Alpha 5 Custom Build (r9719)

$ g++ -v

Target: i686-apple-darwin10

Configured with: /var/tmp/gcc/gcc-5664~38/src/configure --disable-checking --enable-werror --prefix=/usr --mandir=/share/man --enable-languages=c,objc,c++,obj-c++ --program-transform-name=/^[cg][^.-]*$/s/$/-4.2/ --with-slibdir=/usr/lib --build=i686-apple-darwin10 --program-prefix=i686-apple-darwin10- --host=x86_64-apple-darwin10 --target=i686-apple-darwin10 --with-gxx-include-dir=/include/c++/4.2.1

Thread model: posix

gcc version 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5664)

$ gcc -dumpmachine

i686-apple-darwin10

$ echo $HOSTTYPE

x86_64

Here's what I get when I try to build/run the latest revisions of the game:

std::allocator<wchar_t> >, R (* fptr)(void*, T0) = <unnamed>::script_TS_FAIL]’:

../../../source/test_setup.cpp:111: instantiated from here

../../../source/scriptinterface/NativeWrapperDecls.h:47: error: no matching function for call to ‘ScriptInterface::Register(const char*&, <unresolved overloaded function type>, size_t)’

../../../source/scriptinterface/ScriptInterface.h:331: note: candidates are: void ScriptInterface::Register(const char*, JSBool (*)(JSContext*, JSObject*, uintN, jsval*, jsval*), size_t)

/opt/local/include/boost/system/error_code.hpp: At global scope:

/opt/local/include/boost/system/error_code.hpp:208: warning: ‘boost::system::system_category’ defined but not used

/opt/local/include/boost/system/error_code.hpp:209: warning: ‘boost::system::generic_category’ defined but not used

/opt/local/include/boost/system/error_code.hpp:214: warning: ‘boost::system::posix_category’ defined but not used

/opt/local/include/boost/system/error_code.hpp:215: warning: ‘boost::system::errno_ecat’ defined but not used

/opt/local/include/boost/system/error_code.hpp:216: warning: ‘boost::system::native_ecat’ defined but not used

make[1]: *** [obj/test_Debug/test_setup.o] Error 1

make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

Environment.cpp

make: *** [test] Error 2

../../../source/tools/atlas/AtlasUI/ScenarioEditor/ScenarioEditor.cpp:795: error: no matching function for call to ‘wxString::wxString(std::wstring)’

/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/string.h:1283: note: candidates are: wxString::wxString(const void*, const void*)

/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/string.h:1280: note: wxString::wxString(const wxString&, size_t, size_t)

/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/string.h:722: note: wxString::wxString(const wxWCharBuffer&)

/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/string.h:720: note: wxString::wxString(const char*, const wxMBConv&, size_t)

/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/string.h:704: note: wxString::wxString(const wxChar*, const wxMBConv&, size_t)

/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/string.h:700: note: wxString::wxString(const wxChar*, size_t)

/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/string.h:698: note: wxString::wxString(const wxChar*)

/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/string.h:694: note: wxString::wxString(size_t, wxChar)

/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/string.h:692: note: wxString::wxString(wxChar, size_t)

/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/string.h:690: note: wxString::wxString(const wxString&)

/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/string.h:689: note: wxString::wxString(const wxStringBase&)

/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/string.h:687: note: wxString::wxString()

/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/string.h:682: note: wxString::wxString(int)

make[1]: *** [obj/AtlasUI_Debug/ScenarioEditor.o] Error 1

make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

make: *** [AtlasUI] Error 2

Kimball:system Home$ ./pyrogenesis_dbg

dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libenet.1.dylib

Referenced from: /Users/Home/Documents/oad/binaries/system/./pyrogenesis_dbg

Reason: image not found

Trace/BPT trap

If possible within a reasonable amount of time/effort, we ought to try and get this worked out before the release. Although we currently don't have extensive OSX support, players should at least be able to build the game on their own at each scheduled release.

I strongly agree it should be fixed, but the problem is that won't happen unless someone fixes it :(. (I can't test on OS X myself - I can continue making blind guesses but it usually takes 24 hours for someone to test it and report the results, so iteration is very slow. I don't suppose anyone happens to have an SSH-accessible machine we could use for build testing (with root access so we can run MacPorts etc) or something along those lines?)

../../../source/tools/atlas/AtlasUI/ScenarioEditor/ScenarioEditor.cpp:795: error: no matching function for call to ‘wxString::wxString(std::wstring)’

I know this one.

There are two function calls where the wxwidgets version coming with macports doesn't support std:wstring as parameter.

If you put .c_str() after the parameter, it works and compiles. The other problem is that there's no 64bit version of wxwidgets available from macports.

I've tried using homebrew, but I currently can't even get it to install any packages :(.

I didn't make a patch yet because I'm not sure if using MacPorts is the right approach because of the missing 64bit version of wxwidgets.

I strongly agree it should be fixed, but the problem is that won't happen unless someone fixes it :(. (I can't test on OS X myself - I can continue making blind guesses but it usually takes 24 hours for someone to test it and report the results, so iteration is very slow. I don't suppose anyone happens to have an SSH-accessible machine we could use for build testing (with root access so we can run MacPorts etc) or something along those lines?)

I can put this in the release announcement, and keep advertising for it occasionally. Even specifically write Mac gaming blogs to ask for someone willing to help with this.

r9767 should fix the ENet build errors (after running update-workspaces again) (thanks to access to historic_bruno's OS X).

r9766 should hide the Atlas build errors by not building it by default; run "./update-workspace.sh --enable-atlas" to re-enable it. (The errors should get fixed but Atlas won't work anyway because of harder problems so it should still be disabled until that's fixed too.)

I can put this in the release announcement, and keep advertising for it occasionally. Even specifically write Mac gaming blogs to ask for someone willing to help with this.

Previous attempts to advertise widely for OS X help seem to have been miserable failures as far as I remember, and it kind of makes us look unprofessional and desperate, so I think it's probably not worthwhile. (Not that we aren't unprofessional and desparate - it just seems better to avoid projecting that image :P)

The other problem is that there's no 64bit version of wxwidgets available from macports.

I've tried using homebrew, but I currently can't even get it to install any packages :(.

The current stable version of wxwidgets doesn't support 64 bit on the Mac according to this document:

http://wiki.wxwidgets.org/Development:_wxMac#Building_under_10.6_Snow_Leopard

It should work with 2.9, but that's not stable yet and I couldn't compile atlas with the version provided by Macports.