Some General Feedback

Milchbubi

I Wildfire games and 0 A.D. Community.

I'm really impressed by your game and I like it very much.

I have now played same games and I have some Ideas for the game.

Graphics

- Could you make the Chickens bigger ( I think they are to small, and when I was on top view I first didn't see them)

Hotkeys:

- Hotkeys would make the Gameplay much more handy( I dont' know if this is very difficult to do )

- I have played serveral Strategy games and the best way (for me) to make hotskey was to to allign it to the keyboard

=========

|Q |W |E |R |

=========

|A |S |D |F |

=========

|Y |X |C |V |

=========

Interface:

- I would divide the buildings into two groups 1 group for civil building and one for the military buildings

- It would also be better ,when you would put the stats of a unit( attak, armor) directly besides the unit portait, so you can quick see them and the player doesn't has to go with the cursor over

the Symbol

- Another thing is, that you can make the Interface transparent if the cursor is not over the interface.

- You could add some unit command buttons like STOP, Walk, Hold Position or Attack

Other Things:

- I don't know if this is a Bug but if the player has a Unit selected and gives the unit a command, there is a small delay so 1 sec, before the Unit moves

- Placing walls is in my opinion not very precize and the rotation with mousemovement is not very handy, so I would rotate the walls with the mouse wheele.

I also couldnt make it to close a canyon( do you know what I mean I don't know the right word) with walls , so that no enemies could go through.

So to solve this you could make a Grid which is all over the map and you could define(is this correct?) where units can go and buildings can be placed and where not.

- You can not make a waypoint from the towncenter on a ressource

- the vision of the Units is to far

- Why can the troops also build buildings? I would like it when only the workers could build buildings

That's my feedback so far.

I'm open for discussions

Milchbubi

- Could you make the Chickens bigger ( I think they are to small, and when I was on top view I first didn't see them)

Yes, we certainly can. But this sort of thing is currently on the back burner while we work on unfinished and inadequate art.

Hotkeys:

- Hotkeys would make the Gameplay much more handy( I dont' know if this is very difficult to do )

- I have played serveral Strategy games and the best way (for me) to make hotskey was to to allign it to the keyboard

=========

|Q |W |E |R |

=========

|A |S |D |F |

=========

|Y |X |C |V |

=========

Yes, we do plan to have hotkeys implemented, and chances are, you'll be able to customize what you want each key to do.

- It would also be better ,when you would put the stats of a unit( attak, armor) directly besides the unit portait, so you can quick see them and the player doesn't has to go with the cursor over the Symbol

I feel like this would crowd the UI a bit. Perhaps a concept of some sort would ease my hesitation about this idea.

- Another thing is, that you can make the Interface transparent if the cursor is not over the interface.

Not a horrible idea. Definitely something we can discuss. (y)

- You could add some unit command buttons like STOP, Walk, Hold Position or Attack

This is planned for but yet to be implemented.

- I don't know if this is a Bug but if the player has a Unit selected and gives the unit a command, there is a small delay so 1 sec, before the Unit moves

I'm sure there are plenty of people on the team that could explain this much more adequately than I ever could, but this is just a function of the game calculating the unit's movement. It might be faster in the future, but it's not the end of the world if it isn't.

- Placing walls is in my opinion not very precize and the rotation with mousemovement is not very handy, so I would rotate the walls with the mouse wheele.

I also couldnt make it to close a canyon( do you know what I mean I don't know the right word) with walls , so that no enemies could go through.

So to solve this you could make a Grid which is all over the map and you could define(is this correct?) where units can go and buildings can be placed and where not.

Eventually, wall placement will be much easier. See: http://www.wildfireg...ndpost&p=219782

- You can not make a waypoint from the towncenter on a ressource

This bothers me sometimes as well. I hope this is implemented, but it's not really my place to decide.

- the vision of the Units is to far

This is an arguable position, but we'll sort this kind of thing out when it comes to beta testing and faction balancing.

- Why can the troops also build buildings? I would like it when only the workers could build buildings

This is following our concept of the "citizen-soldier', something we decided to integrate into the design from the very beginning. It's a very small example of what sets our game apart from similar titles.

Hope that helped! :cheers:

Hi Milchbubi,

There is a patch that will help movement delay quite a bit. It still has to be reviewed and integrated into the build.

There are many tasks planned for improving performance throughout the system. If you look at the task lists in the dev area you will see there are lots of tasks that are related to improving performance. It is an incremental process, you improve algorithms and code to reduce the current bottlenecks. After making a certain number of improvments the bottleneck moves to another area of the code and the focus is on that area. This happens over and over.

At the same time you are adding new features. At this point a lot of emphasis is put on getting new features implemented over fine tuning performance.

Thanks for the feedback.

Right now the only hotkeys we have enabled are:

WASD = camera movement

QE = camera rotation

H = reset camera ('H'ome)

Shift-D = open/close developers console

Ctrl+1-0 = create control groups

1-0 = Select control groups

Alt-Enter = toggle windowed mode

F2 = screenshot

~ = console

and perhaps a few others.

3bvpqg22.jpg

This leaves no room for resources or stances.

Another thing is, that you can make the Interface transparent if the cursor is not over the interface.

If this was ever implemented I would advise to do it only selectable in settings and not to hard code it. When you are in battle and are coordinating an attack your mouse is out of this region but there is overall health of selected units and their types. So I at least need it.

I would divide the buildings into two groups 1 group for civil building and one for the military buildings

They are divided. Women can start building of only civil buildings (first row) while citizen-soldiers can start building of both civil and military buildings (both rows). But both types could construct the building as soon as there are foundations.

also couldnt make it to close a canyon( do you know what I mean I don't know the right word) with walls , so that no enemies could go through.

This is not needed. If you have built so many walls that some canyon is closed your enemy should go throught another one or take a lot of siege units. Easy.

I agree with the OP: Attack damage and armour should be visible in the UI of a unit without having to go over with the cursor. I really enjoyed this in Age of empires 1 and 2, but I hated the system in AOE3: there was just too much info and parameters.

Right now the only hotkeys we have enabled are:

WASD = camera movement

QE = camera rotation

H = reset camera ('H'ome)

Shift-D = open/close developers console

Ctrl+1-0 = create control groups

1-0 = Select control groups

Alt-Enter = toggle windowed mode

F2 = screenshot

~ = console

and perhaps a few others.

http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/HotKeys contains a list of all the hotkeys (at least it does now that I added the control group keys :) ).

• 11 months later...

- It would also be better ,when you would put the stats of a unit( attak, armor) directly besides the unit portait, so you can quick see them and the player doesn't has to go with the cursor over the Symbol.

I think this is a good idea, its something that should be clearly displayed I think, this information is pretty important for your strategy.. You lose time with the hover over the symbol and you get distracted from the game.

Though it should be implemented in a way that it doesn't crowd the GUI like Kimball stated.