Cannot Use "very Big" Or "giant" Random Maps

Annozero

Hi, I have found that I cannot select "very big" or "giant" in the random maps size menu. If I do, after the loading screen the game returns to the main menu. In the log there is:

ERROR: JavaScript error: out of memory

ERROR: JavaScript error: Argument must be an object

ERROR: CMapReader::ParseTerrain() failed to get 'tileData' property

Thanks

Yes, the map was too big, and your computer doesn't have enough RAM to generate it the game hasn't set aside enough memory to generate it.

What are your computer specs?

We should probably add limits so this type of thing doesn't happen.

That's odd, it seems to always work for me. I also have 8GB RAM on a 64-bit system. Which version of the game are you playing?

I'm using the latest development version (0ad.dev ppa) on Kubuntu 11.04. Is there anything I can try (like a setting to allow more than 96 mb of ram)? In the settings I've changed the lodbias to the value suggested in the comment to make the graphics sharper (-1.5), but reverting the change doesn't fix the problem.

Edited by Annozero

I'm using the latest development version (0ad.dev ppa) on Kubuntu 11.04. Is there anything I can try (like a setting to allow more than 96 mb of ram)?

If you'd like to try compiling the source code yourself, the constant RMS_RUNTIME_SIZE is defined in \source\graphics\MapGenerator.cpp. Otherwise, I can try gradually increasing the limit but you'd have to wait for the next dev package to test whether it works or not.

If you'd like to try compiling the source code yourself, the constant RMS_RUNTIME_SIZE is defined in \source\graphics\MapGenerator.cpp. Otherwise, I can try gradually increasing the limit but you'd have to wait for the next dev package to test whether it works or not.

Thanks for the input. I downloaded the source from svn, updated that value up to 256 Mb, then 512 Mb, then 1 Gb and rebuilt every time, but nothing changes. Maybe I have to change also something else?

Thanks to Philip, we've discovered the memory error is not occurring in the map generator context, but when the data is returned - so changing that constant wouldn't help. I'm guessing you use a 64-bit build of 0AD on 64-bit Linux, because Philip was able to reproduce this (I was not, I only have a 32-bit build on 64-bit Windows).

I've committed some changes to reduce the size of the random map data. Try the latest revision (r9664) and let us know how it works :)

Thanks to Philip, we've discovered the memory error is not occurring in the map generator context, but when the data is returned - so changing that constant wouldn't help. I'm guessing you use a 64-bit build of 0AD on 64-bit Linux, because Philip was able to reproduce this (I was not, I only have a 32-bit build on 64-bit Windows).

I've committed some changes to reduce the size of the random map data. Try the latest revision (r9664) and let us know how it works :)

Yep! It works perfectly now, and it also seems faster at generating the map.Yes, I'm using an amd64 build on an amd64 system.Thanks!