Hello :)

Kyriakos

Hi,

I have returned to this forum after a considerable absence. I would like to ask if anyone can direct me to information about a possible compatibility of the game's engine with the 3d modeling program Bryce 7.

I do all of my modeling on Bryce, but it is notorious for its problems while exporting files in non native forms...

Anyway, here is a little peak at my graphics:

D5pvl.png

I hastily applied for being a modeler, but probably it would be better if i first got answers to my Bryce-related question ;)

Bryce 7 can export Collada so you should be OK if you create the work in Bryce.

I do know Bryce had a problem with importing any format except the obj format.

I do not know if that issue is solved or not.

Testing with Bryce 7.1 and importing known good Collada files from 0 A.D. will not export.

All the base obj files i worked with to create the 0 A.D. files will import and then export to Collada with no problems.

There is some extra info in the final Collada files that is not used by 0 A.D. but I don't think it matters.

Hi,

I have returned to this forum after a considerable absence. I would like to ask if anyone can direct me to information about a possible compatibility of the game's engine with the 3d modeling program Bryce 7.

I do all of my modeling on Bryce, but it is notorious for its problems while exporting files in non native forms...

Anyway, here is a little peak at my graphics:

I hastily applied for being a modeler, but probably it would be better if i first got answers to my Bryce-related question ;)

nice graphics.

Have you created them for Civilization 3?

Another thing i would like to ask is how many polygons is the typical 0 AD building?

Most of my models are around 10K Polygons, if they are detailed, and 5K if more simple. Bryce increases the count in relation to other programs, like 3dsmax. Some very intricate models rise up to 500K (for example my model of the Hagia Sophia).

Edited by Kyriakos

See, larger buildings can have more triangles because they take up more screen space. So, a castle that takes up as much room as 3 or 4 2000-triangle barracks could easily have 5000 triangles. The 2000 triangle limit is just a guideline. For contrast, a cavalry unit can easily be 1000 triangles (depending upon the props attached).

You mean 15 K Polygons?

Still is too little, since Bryce turns everything into a polygon hell, and this model has around 100K polygons now...

More visible here:

2Wpr8.png

I guess i could try to substitute some details which are modeled, with textures. But anyway this is a medieval building so it has no place in 0 AD. :)

Edited by Kyriakos

Oh, ok :)

Mythos_Ruler: i cannot seem to find where the models folder is in my 0AD installation. It seems it only has four files. Did i install the wrong one? I thought that the other one was needed only by people playing with the code, but it seems i was wrong (?).

As for the castle, if it is to be used in Zero AD i will have to model its two remaining sides a bit more, they have no windows currently.

Ok, i now installed the full version :)

Problem is i do not know where the files for the buildings are, and what i have to do to add one (or replace an existent one) in the game.

Any help? I will try one of my more intricate models to report back on possible lag.

Anyone who can answer my question?

In your installed version it will be

0AD/binaries/data/mods

There you will find a public.zip

Move that file to a safe place and then extract it.

Move the extracted public back to where the zip file was.

So the path will be

0AD/binaries/data/mods/public

Then you'll see a bunch of folders under that.

Look in art/meshes/structural

Problem is i do not know where the files for the buildings are, and what i have to do to add one (or replace an existent one) in the game.

Look at this topic: Michael answered there similar questions, also here is information how to work with COLLADA files in Blender and useful links.

Edit: Jeff was faster :) But maybe my links can help too.