Performance Problems?

Annozero

maybe all these things i'm going to say are allready known... but i'll try...

I had a game me vs 1 JuBot

at the beginning the framerate was 20/30 after sometime it started going over 60 with peaks more than 100

the profiler shows high values in simulation update > move (the pathfinder?)

my enemy was weeked by my attacks (civ center gone, only few units left) the game was really slow... I kill all my units, but was sill slow

so with the dev overlay, I enabled the full map view, I saw 2 buildings started by JuBot in unreacheable areas, and some units (nearly 6) near those unreacheable buildings

I destroyed the unreacheable buildings (gaining all units controll with the dev overlay) and the game started again in a good speed

hope this was somehow helpfull

ciao!

I confirm that the problem seem to be caused by the AI... some units try to go in unreachable areas forever.

Sometimes this units are on the sea shoreline, sometimes at the base of a mountain, then the game starts to slow down.

If you kill those bot units (with the dev overlay / show map / command all units) then the game speed returns to be normal.

I confirm that the problem seem to be caused by the AI... some units try to go in unreachable areas forever.

Sometimes this units are on the sea shoreline, sometimes at the base of a mountain, then the game starts to slow down.

If you kill those bot units (with the dev overlay / show map / command all units) then the game speed returns to be normal.

Some of those should be fixed already, and we're hoping to have most fixed for Alpha 8 (a big reason why it might still be a while before it's out, we want to try our best to improve the performance, especially in cases like this).

• 4 weeks later...

Some of those should be fixed already, and we're hoping to have most fixed for Alpha 8 (a big reason why it might still be a while before it's out, we want to try our best to improve the performance, especially in cases like this).

Hi! I was playng with Alpha 8, i would like to inform you that the problem is still there. Especially with the Latium map. Citizens of the AI try to go and do things on unreacheble hills and the game's performance badly decrase.

Hi! I was playng with Alpha 8, i would like to inform you that the problem is still there. Especially with the Latium map. Citizens of the AI try to go and do things on unreacheble hills and the game's performance badly decrase.

Yes, unfortunately the pathfinding fixes proved too big to be finished in time for Alpha 8, it was delayed enough as it was, so it really wouldn't have been a good idea to wait any longer. They should be included in Alpha 9 though, and with continued development of qBot etc things should improve as well. For now it's probably best to avoid playing on maps with hills/island maps (AIs doesn't support island maps yet anyway).

• 3 months later...

@nu111: I'm afraid performance issues will be an ongoing thing until we have implemented most of our features. The reason is, we don't want to optimize now and make it harder to add things later. Once all the core features are in (which will be soon), then we can start profliing code and optimizing the slowest bits.

Philip has already begun work on a new path finder though, but it's on hold at the moment while we bake some goodies into Alpha 10.

• Like 1