Idea For A Guide - Need Some Help

I would like to create a step by step building modification guide. A lot of people want to mod, but also don't know where to start. I have written multiple step by step guides for AOKTC and that is where new aoktc modders are generally referred to. It makes moding much easier when there is a guide which details exactly how.

I have 3ds max and could easily get blender. My idea is to start by detailing exactly how to mod (graphically change the appearance of) a celtic house.

My idea is to write a moding guide that could be linked to (or posted) in the modding section. When someone wants to know how to mod, they can read that guide.

In order to write such a guide, I need some technical help.

1. Where would the celtic house be stored in the folder structure?

2. To modify the celtic houses' graphics do I simple import the .dae file, edit it (in blender, or 3ds max) and save? Or are there other considerations?

3. Do I need to edit any .xml files?

I will likely have more questions as my guide progresses. I will write it in .html and include screen-shots. Specifics from anyone who is currently moding (i.e. creating new graphical content, or editing existing graphics content) would be appreciated.

I would like to create a step by step building modification guide. A lot of people want to mod, but also don't know where to start. I have written multiple step by step guides for AOKTC and that is where new aoktc modders are generally referred to. It makes moding much easier when there is a guide which details exactly how.

I have 3ds max and could easily get blender. My idea is to start by detailing exactly how to mod (graphically change the appearance of) a celtic house.

My idea is to write a moding guide that could be linked to (or posted) in the modding section. When someone wants to know how to mod, they can read that guide.

In order to write such a guide, I need some technical help.

Excellent idea, m8.

1. Where would the celtic house be stored in the folder structure?

Models

Buildings

binaries\data\mods\public\art\meshes\structural

Props

binaries\data\mods\public\art\meshes\props

2. To modify the celtic houses' graphics do I simple import the .dae file, edit it (in blender, or 3ds max) and save? Or are there other considerations?

Yeah. Import the proper .dae (collada) files, edit them, then re-export back into the proper folders. You should probably name it something else other than the original name so that you don't overwrite the existing houses. Eventually we'll support additional user-made mod folders (so that you don't have to worry about overwriting anything), but right now we don't have that yet.

3. Do I need to edit any .xml files?

Only if you are not overwriting existing files. If you overwrite the existing collada files, then there is no need to edit any XMLs. If you export new files to the game, then you will need to make new actors and entities.

Actors: XML files that combine together the models, textures, animations, and other actors (props) to form an object. Basically actors detail how the object LOOKS.

Found in: binaries\data\mods\public\art\actors

Entities: XML files that give the stats and behavior of the object, whether a tree, a building, animal, unit, etc. Entities will also have a line in the XML code that calls the proper actor.

Found in: binaries\data\mods\public\simulation\templates

This may sound convoluted, but it really is quite a powerful system. There is a learning curve, but if you learn how it works, then your creative juices will take over.

I will likely have more questions as my guide progresses. I will write it in .html and include screen-shots. Specifics from anyone who is currently moding (i.e. creating new graphical content, or editing existing graphics content) would be appreciated.

Yes, ask any questions you need to. I think once you start mucking with the actors and entities yourself, you will probably find all the answers you need. :)

PS: We have a handy editor for the actors, called aptly enough "Actor Editor." It's in the binaries/system folder. There is no entity editor yet, so you'll have to do that by hand in Notepad, or Notepad++ (my choice), or the text editor of your choice.