Alpha 5 Binaries For Mac Os X

mtkaz

Nice. I'm a Mac user, and 0 A.D. team member. Would you mind sharing your process for packaging the game so that, if I need to, I'll be able to do it for others.

Specifically, how did you get it to work with both 32bit and 64bit machines, how did you solve the hard coded system library locations? Did you bundle them in the package?

Nice. I'm a Mac user, and 0 A.D. team member. Would you mind sharing your process for packaging the game so that, if I need to, I'll be able to do it for others.

Specifically, how did you get it to work with both 32bit and 64bit machines, how did you solve the hard coded system library locations? Did you bundle them in the package?

Oh, I forgot to mention it was 64 bit binaries. Intel Core Duo users can't use it. But my dylibs built by MacPorts contain 32/64-bit binaries. You can use them for 32-bit pyrogenesis.

As for packaging, I patched pyrogenesis and dylibs using "install_name_tool" command. "otool -D" command tells us library's ID. I changed it like:

install_name_tool -id @executable_path/libSDL-1.2.0.dylib libSDL-1.2.0.dylib

We can confirm what dylib is linked using "otool -L". I modified them like:

install_name_tool -change /opt/local/lib/libSDL-1.2.0.dylib @executable_path/libSDL-1.2.0.dylib pyrogenesis

Of course, the better way is changing make files.

Interesting. I thought otool might have had to be used in this case.

Would you be interested in helping to make 0 A.D. a first class app for Mac?

If you'd like to help out, would you like to try edit the makefiles, or creating a script that automates the otool changes.

Maybe the end goal is a 'make mac_package' command that create a nice app bundle?

Mac is one of the few packages we don't have at the moment, so it'd be great to have these, as you've just done with Alpha 5.

If possible though, the binary should work on Leopard or Snow Leopard, and on 32bit or 64bit. That should cover most Mac users.

I was looking into the build system of 0 A.D. gmake, cmake, premake… come on… I don't know I can do that but I will try. The first goal is 32-bit binaries and tailoring the makefiles for OS X.

I will ask a question or inform you at Development & Technical Discussion board (it looks better).

That's what I thought, thanks for clarifying. I'm not actually the one experiencing this problem, it's our Sound Effects team who all primarily use Macs.

:P What a sad coincidence. Or not necessarily a coincidence since it seems a lot of sound people use Macs, but still, a bit ironical at least that the people who'd need sound the most don't get it at the moment.

Thank you so much for making a mac version, I have been wanting to try this game out for a while. Unfortunately the link doesn't work for me.

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /wp/english/zeroad

on this server.

Would be most grateful if this can be fixed.

EDIT: I found it here: http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Games/0-A-D.shtml

This file works fine for me. A bunch of errors appear upon launching a game, but then they go away, and everything seems to work OK (apart from the sound, as mentioned above). Quite laggy for me, but my computer generally seems a bit slow at the moment, so maybe not the game's fault. I have a 17" MacBook Pro 2.93 GHz Core 2 Duo with 8 GB RAM. Tested 0 A.D. with the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics card (250MB), haven't yet tried with the more powerful 9600M GT (512MB). This is the first time I have been able to play this game properly. It is coming along nicely. Maybe this binary could be put up on the main site for download, as I have to say that being told I have to compile the game is quite intimidating.

Edited by Sebovzeoueb

Thank you so much for making a mac version, I have been wanting to try this game out for a while. Unfortunately the link doesn't work for me.

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /wp/english/zeroad

on this server.

Would be most grateful if this can be fixed.

EDIT: I found it here: http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Games/0-A-D.shtml

This file works fine for me. A bunch of errors appear upon launching a game, but then they go away, and everything seems to work OK (apart from the sound, as mentioned above). Quite laggy for me, but my computer generally seems a bit slow at the moment, so maybe not the game's fault. I have a 17" MacBook Pro 2.93 GHz Core 2 Duo with 8 GB RAM. Tested 0 A.D. with the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics card (250MB), haven't yet tried with the more powerful 9600M GT (512MB). This is the first time I have been able to play this game properly. It is coming along nicely. Maybe this binary could be put up on the main site for download, as I have to say that being told I have to compile the game is quite intimidating.

Sorry for inconvenience but I needed to deny the access from some domains which spammers used.

Your Mac is more gorgeous than mine :D I don't care the speed of game for now. Just a alpha-stage.

Those are good specs for a laptop. Try running the game in "sandbox" mode by unassigning all the AI players on the selected map (try Median Oasis). If the game runs fine, then you know it's the AI and pathfinding that causes the lag. Both are not yet optimized.

The game does run much better in "sandbox mode". I managed to make it to 500 population without too much trouble. Turning off water reflections significantly improves performance for me.

As soon as I select a large group of units and tell them to move somewhere however, lag ensues. I guess this is probably the pathfinding.

This game is going to be pretty epic, I think.

@0ad developers:

Please post this build to http://wildfiregames...age.php?p=14433 that everyone can find it easily.

Or link to http://mac.softpedia...mes/0-A-D.shtml

so I fully agree theShadow

@mtkaz:

Please help the 0ad developer and be the Mac OS X 0ad developer:

http://trac.wildfire...atestReleaseMac

maybee make the howto for compiling 0ad better:

http://trac.wildfire...atestReleaseMac

http://trac.wildfire...nstructions#OSX

Edited by raymond

@raymond: mtkaz said he would give the makefile to the developers, allowing the devs to then create an official build themselves, and hopefully learn a trick or 2 for compiling future builds,

although a link to here would be nice, eventually it will be unnecessary.

Thanks for your offer :) I think some programming and debugging experience will be needed to fix the runtime problems.

However, attempting to build from source is a great start! If you post the resulting errors here, I can have a look and might be able to fix minor issues within our code. (I can't help with issues pertaining to system libraries, though, especially the SpiderMonkey JS engine.)