Hey!

Hey,

My name is Joe, it's been a while since I've introduced myself to a new community, so not really sure how to do it anymore, perhaps a bit about myself?

I'm currently finishing my second year at University studying Computer Science, where I'm studying several interesting topics, including AI and Commercial Game Dev. I purposely left out the graphics modules this year (which were in OpenGL), but I massively, massively regret that decision, it looked so fun, so I took the time to learn some in my spare time.

I was reminiscing on a game I used to play called Empires: Dawn of the Modern World, and found myself wishing it was made open source so I could get my hands on the code and make some serious patches, unfortunately the code wasn't released and probably never will be - I'm a bit sad about this because I'd love to get it up and running again and rebuild the community, but never mind!

So I decided to search around for other open source RTS games, and I found 0 A.D, I watched a video and it looked pretty darn awesome, so I found myself here and checking out how to get involved with the project, I'm pretty happy its in C++ with a JS scripting engine - I'm incredibly familiar with both of these so hopefully I'll get comfortable with the code relatively quickly.

As well as having my CS geekness attributes, I'm also an active freelance web designer, though time constraints kind of shut that down recently, I still have to release my creative juices onto something pretty once in a while, so I'm currently working on a blog for myself as well as a blogging system (I dislike Wordpress and how it works).

So uhh, thats me, and that is how I found myself here! If you have any questions about anything just ask and I'll try and help as much as I can, hopefully I'll enjoy being around here and enjoy contributing where I can to the game.

Thanks fenuer, I've been checking out the code a bit and making a few adjustments here and there, I'm really liking how it is all laid out, hopefully I'll be contributing things worthwhile in no time! :P

Thanks fenuer, I've been checking out the code a bit and making a few adjustments here and there, I'm really liking how it is all laid out, hopefully I'll be contributing things worthwhile in no time! :P

Sounds great (y) (A good tip is to hang out in the IRC channel ;) )

WOW, finally a fellow Empires DOTMW fan. I simply love that game. I used to play it all the time. Amazing! And would really love some form of patch or addon to it, but as you say, pretty hard without the code. And the studio is gone right? :(

Anyways, welcome to the forums, hope you enjoy it here. :)

Sounds great (y) (A good tip is to hang out in the IRC channel ;) )

Way ahead of ya buddy (Joe544 in IRC)

WOW, finally a fellow Empires DOTMW fan. I simply love that game. I used to play it all the time. Amazing! And would really love some form of patch or addon to it, but as you say, pretty hard without the code. And the studio is gone right? :(

Anyways, welcome to the forums, hope you enjoy it here. :)

Yeah, Stainless Steel went a few years ago now, which is a shame, Rick Goodman is still alive though, so there could still be hope! I might try contacting him or Activision(publisher) one day to see what I can get out of it, no harm in trying :P