Wishlist: Supply System

mondtanz

Hey, I love the game, the graphics, the gameplay.

Problem: so many other games allow the following: game unit in the back, parked behind enemy lines, after ages attacks. I real life, that unit would be starved.

I would love 0ad more, if the game would have some supply system:

- army and workers must eat every so often

- that food must be send to some sites, where the people then rest.

That would also give units a home advantage, because they are closer to food, than the attackers.

Same should hold for spears: currently, a hunter seems to have millions of them, but won't break down.

That would lead to a game which is more strategic and less about killing.

Other problem I encountered: ships sometimes get stuck on land, and off-loaded units cannot always move to the shore

Otherwise great game, and I look forward to the next version.

Well mondtanz, although the game is not incredibly realistic, this is an real time strategy game, not a real time tactical game. I agree with you on most of your points, and if I were to make a computer game, I think that it would have hundreds of complications like taxes and advanced communication systems. The real problem with having this things though, is that it won't appeal to the people who want one of those more classic real time strategy games like Age of Empires making it hard to really popularize this game. Thanks for the feedback though.

I thought I red something about units loosing health slowly when they are in enemy territories, but I'm not sure if I remember that correctly.

That would be similar to what you are suggesting, but much less complicated. :)

This will happen if the game host chooses the "Closed Borders" setting for the match. It's basically a "no rush" option.

Well mondtanz, although the game is not incredibly realistic, this is an real time strategy game, not a real time tactical game. I agree with you on most of your points, and if I were to make a computer game, I think that it would have hundreds of complications like taxes and advanced communication systems.

Heh. You speak my mind exactly.:)

RoN had a pretty nice supply system, which wasn't too complicated. Basically, the player could build supply wagons, which reduced the damage that units took in enemy territory. Something that could be considered. (Not for the main game, mind you, it wouldn't really fit there, but for a mod perhaps.)

That idea, to realize it like Cossacks, is good. I would this extend with the problems seasons (only in europe) that you can't harvest in the winter. To make it not too hard you could say that you can in spring, summer and autumn.

Because then you have to save for the winter and you have to calculate, how much new units you can build/train.

Edited by ichthys