Jubot: A Marginally Improved Ai

A few things:

1. Awesome work so far. I enjoyed the multi-proned attacks and things like that.

2. Citizen-soldiers need to gather too, not just the females. They should gather when they are waiting to attack. Maybe have 75% of them gather, while 25% of them stand guard at various spots around the town. Then they can mass for different sized attacks. Right now the citizen-soldiers tend to cluster around the Civic Centre and sit there.

3. The AI seems like it can only train 3 units at once. It should be 1 at a time at first, then switch to multiple of 5 (5, 10, 15, etc.) after maybe the 10 minute mark.

4. Go ahead and have the AI build multiple Barracks. There will eventually be a per-territory limit on the number of Barracks, but for now we have no such limits (or territories at all yet, really). Same goes for Fortresses. With the citizen-soldiers gathering resources the AI player should have enough resources to do this.

5. After building its first Fortress, the AI should switch to using Super Units for attacks, supported by some ranged citizen-soldiers.

6. The AI needs to start using the Mill (mining camp/lumber camp) and Farmstead (granary). Sometimes units will walk all the way across the map to a gold mine and shuttle resources all the way back.

7. It looks like the AI is constructing all of its buildings in a checkerboard grid pattern, even farm fields and houses. The houses should ideally be clustered together in groups (with just enough room to walk between them) and usually on the side of the town opposite from the enemy (usually on the side facing the map edge). Farm fields should be clustered around either the Civic Centre or Farmstead. :)

8. I know you know all this already. Just wanted to write down my thoughts as I played it. (y)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesomeness. Just played a 1v2 against 2 Jubot AIs and it was extremely fun :)

I agree citizen-soldiers should gather resources while they wait to join the 3-pronged attack, but I'm very impressed nonetheless. I'm going to try out a few more maps now to see how the AI copes with different starting units and terrains.

Jubot, when on a islands map with fairly small starting islands, causes the AI Player to endlessly try to build into the sea.

But not a dock. I would be nice if they tried to build some docks and warships into the sea, rather than a house, and getting stuck on trying to build this house forever.

@trajan: Yep: building space is THE biggie to fix now. That and getting naval stuff sorted, but I'd quite like to wait until loading/offloading troops with ships has been fixed prior to doing that.

@Mythos: All comments somewhere in planning stages, some will be harder to get done than others. It's changing the way buildings are put down that'll be the really tough one I think.

@trajan: Yep: building space is THE biggie to fix now. That and getting naval stuff sorted, but I'd quite like to wait until loading/offloading troops with ships has been fixed prior to doing that.

@Mythos: All comments somewhere in planning stages, some will be harder to get done than others. It's changing the way buildings are put down that'll be the really tough one I think.

The order in which buildings are constructed by the AI: the priorities seem fixed/set right?( i m a noob, sorry, but I'd love to learn Ai programming. if you know a place with good tutorials for this...)

If so : can you make the Jubot check his current maximum population( for example when you both already start with a Stoa = +10 pop). The priority of building a new house can be lowered down a bit then.

Edited by plumo

Agree with Michael.

Please hold off on big changes for a week (release is May 6th), work on stabilizing the AI. It should be fully playable with any civ and run without any errors.

Please see this ticket for more details: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/ticket/774

MAybe aim to have it finished up (to a stable version) within this weekend. We need enough time to test before the release.

If you have some big changes made, just copy the AI dir to the desktop or whatever, and just apply fixes to the current AI in SVN.

• 1 month later...

I've got fairly detailed plans for doing that, and some really cool plans for getting the AI doing some serious battle micromanagement which I'm very excited about (will be hell to code though).

I think building placement is priority #1 though, the main reason the AI is faltering at the moment is the fact that it's taking progressively longer to take resources back to the CC and so its economy slows over time; I need to get it placing resource gathering bases, farmsteads and mills etc.

Personally I'd also like to see some AI scouts really early on - especially if starting cavalry or dogs are available - possibly a small raid on some resource gathers before the main attack.

The AI should also use more siege weapons later on in the game - I fortified a base yesterday and let the game run for just under 2 hours. When I returned none of my fortresses or walls had been destroyed (all the defenses had been fully garrisoned beforehand).

Just wanted to report that I left some Celtic Super Javelin Cavalry to attack an AI Town centre, and the AI did nothing while my cavalry threw javelins at it for about 10min. It made soldiers, but somehow my Javelin units were out of their LOS, so they didn't come over to defend their town centre. Your AI doesn't yet seem to be able to deal with being attacked...

Keep up the good work.