Particles

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Carthaginians get an Iberian Mercenary for that class.

Which is why I asked, now that the Iberian Javelinist is moved to the Iberians. (It is the same unit, given the texture names and all)

Not sure. The easiest thing would be to just keep the Carth javelinist as-is, and just tweak it so that it's slightly different than the Iberian version. Unless someone comes up with something better of course. ;)

My attempt would be to have a Cavalry Javelinist for the Iberians to get the flaming javelin ability and leaving the Infantry Javelinist with the Carthaginians.

(And if you can move the Iberian Javelinist to its faction of origin, you can also move the Celtic Swordsman to his respective faction.:P)

I made an attempt to create an Iberian Cavalry Javelinist some time ago, along with Celtic Slingers. Image attached.

post-8990-0-73870600-1302648056_thumb.pn

Edited by SMST

Playing around a bit trying to create a fog effect I realized that the trees don't go all that well together with particles:post-2319-0-42615900-1302725832_thumb.jp

Also, not sure if it's a bug or a feature, but since particles can have position set they sometimes affect an area quite outside the point of origin and that sometimes causes them to "jump into view". I should probably just make the effect cover a smaller area though :) (As you can see in the below screenshot with just one "point of emission" it's not all that huge an area, it was more when I had several "instances" of the particle effect and was fairly zoomed in that it sometimes caused issues :) )

post-2319-0-31226300-1302726803_thumb.jp

EDIT: Couldn't help but create another screenshot:

post-2319-0-78910500-1302728685_thumb.jp

It's too much fun to play around with particles :) Gotta stop now though or I'll get up to late to go to work tomorrow :P

Yeah, particles won't interact well with other alpha-blended objects (like trees or water). I think to some extent that's unavoidable (because alpha blending is evil) - there might be some possible improvements, but I believe particles intersecting alpha-blended trees will never work well. (Trees intersecting trees don't work either, for the same reasons.)

(Particles are generally an incredibly inefficient way to implement fog anyway, so they shouldn't really be used for that :))

Particles popping into view is a (known) bug - currently it only draws them when the actor's meshes are visible, and it needs to compute the particle emitter's bounding box so it knows when they are potentially on-screen and need to be drawn. I ought to fix that :)

I like this, it helps the mines stand out more. I don't see the sparkle on the mines in the random maps, they must be using a different template (the wrong one? gaia/geology_metal_greek )

The assets used in the random maps are somewhat outdated. But if I deleted the old assets then the random maps would error. I think it's much simpler to use one large mine in place of many small ones.

Can I have a nice screenshot of some new particle effects (like mine sparkles) to feed the masses?

It's difficult to show because it is an animated effect. I'll see what I can do. Does anyone know how to make animated GIFs from raw video footage?

EDIT: I made this after many many tries of getting a decent shot:

3K9yt.png

Awesome video. Looking at the dust cloud when building stuff, I'd say the dust is quite dark. It'd be nicer if it were lighter, and didn't go so high.

I hadn't noticed the flying fire rocks yet either. Very cool! When do they get extinguished though? The flame and smoke stop after a while, or persist until the end of the game?

And the game is using JuBot is it? I think it'd be good to include it in the next release if it's finished.

Awesome video. Looking at the dust cloud when building stuff, I'd say the dust is quite dark. It'd be nicer if it were lighter, and didn't go so high.

I hadn't noticed the flying fire rocks yet either. Very cool! When do they get extinguished though? The flame and smoke stop after a while, or persist until the end of the game?

And the game is using JuBot is it? I think it'd be good to include it in the next release if it's finished.

It's pretty easy to adjust the dust a bit. :) The flaming projectiles persist for about a minute before disappearing. TBH, they should probably disappear about 25% sooner.

Great video, Pureon! It really shows some of the graphics improvements we'll have for Alpha 5.

The assets used in the random maps are somewhat outdated. But if I deleted the old assets then the random maps would error. I think it's much simpler to use one large mine in place of many small ones.

Ah, that's useful information. I can change the random map scripts to use single mines if we prefer those. Actually I had to guess about what assets to use, since most had been renamed or deleted, and I'm not really a map designer. :)