Carthage Map!

comp3820

Carthage%2010.png

Carthage%205.png

I made this map working off of the first few Google images for "Carthage," so its not exactly a research project. I also scaled things a little bit different, in order to get a few more city features into a smaller area. You don't even want to know how many docks I put in that center dock - a smarter person probably would have just made the Carthaginian dock in blender :).

A few more pictures:

Img 1

Img 2

Img 3

Img 4

Img 5

Img 6

Edited by comp3820

Yeah, there are a few docks in there :).

@satchitb: the problem with playing this map is that the players aren't set up right. The first time I worked on it, I made the buildings Player 1, but after I reopened it Atlas must have defaulted back to Gaia, so the rest of the buildings are Gaia. Also, it constantly gives me errors for "missing projectile" for the wall towers (since they're shooting at the ships).

Does anyone know how you could change a ton of buildings to a different player at once, or is that a job for sometime when I'm really bored?

Edited by comp3820

Yeah, there are a few docks in there :).

@satchitb: the problem with playing this map is that the players aren't set up right. The first time I worked on it, I made the buildings Player 1, but after I reopened it Atlas must have defaulted back to Gaia, so the rest of the buildings are Gaia. Also, it constantly gives me errors for "missing projectile" for the wall towers (since they're shooting at the ships).

Does anyone know how you could change a ton of buildings to a different player at once, or is that a job for sometime when I'm really bored?

See Michael's reply for what might be the likely cause in this case. To change buildings/units to a different player quicker (it's not exactly all that quick when you have hundreds of units) you can use the 1-8 + 0 keys (i.e. every number key but the number nine, and the normal number keys above the letters not the numerical keyboard) to change the player to the corresponding number. Gaia is 0. To do it quicker, and if you want to change all units a player own you should be able to open the map XML file in a text editor and do a search and replace to replace for example "<Player>1</Player>" with "<Player>2</Player>". (Gaia is <Player>0</Player>)

Ah, thank you. Exactly what I was hoping for. I think I'll use find/replace to make everything player 1, then if I need to I can add a few attacking player two units and actually test this map out.

Is there any way to suppress the errors that come up for "missing projectile" ?

As soon as I find all the little mistakes and make sure it works correctly ;)

I playtested it with 250 legionaries vs 222 mostly Celtic infantry. Since I made quite a few of the Celts super infantry, or used heroes, to make them look/act a little more like desperate Carthaginians, the Carthaginians swamped the romans. Not exactly a historical ending.

I did use the find/replace method to change all the buildings to player 1, and then again later (some of us don't learn ;)) to change the celts to player 1. In doing so, I figured out that there were 1027 buildings ( plus any that were already Player 1, including all the docks) on the map, and 222 Carthaginian soldiers.

The biggest problem is that it ran fairly slow at first, then sped up a little later - I actually think it ran faster than it was supposed to - it felt like it was trying to "catch up." And I've got a Radeon HD 4670 that runs AOEIII like a champ. Hopefully if I reduce the number of Carthaginian soldiers it will run faster.

A few more issues: due to my use of the flattening tool (I think), there is occupiable land outside of the viewable area, so the legionaries tend to get stuck out there. Also, as far as I know there is no victory condition yet unless you destroy all the opponent's units and buildings. Good luck! ;)

comp3820, i've noticed the bug you mentioned with the viewable area in one of my own maps, there is a trick, it'll take a tiny bit of time but hopefully it'll fix your problem.

First use a Thin brush to paint just inside the perimeter of the map, be sure to use a thin brush.
Save (as a new file.)

open the XML file, find the line near the top that says something similar to [i]circular map="true" a[/i]nd remove it (but remember the line (save a copy of THAT line only and its position in the file)
Now, open up your map again and make a SHARP drop to ocean for everything just outside of the line you painted.
also clean up any stray buildings / trees that somehow end up there o.O
Save
Go back to the XML file and add the line you remove.
Test and have fun!

I hope that fixes your problem. :)

Remember: you can upload your map to 0ad.me, and nobody has to register to DOWNLOAD maps. (There is no waiting :D, but mods are high bandwidth so we require registration for those)

Edited by asmartgoat

Well, I got most of the bugs worked out. you can check it out at 0ad.me.

The numbers are down to 200 Romans vs 80 Carthaginians, but the Carthaginians have desperation (or a lot of heroes) on their side. It seems to run mostly smoothly on my computer, although it does bog down at times.

Edited by comp3820

is the limit! I can use (with some difficulty) the editor! But I can not play in the sense that because the game is in true 3D (not the fake one or "imperium" of "terra militaris" (Browser game, get it and see what kind of graphics can support up to my computer)!

• 4 weeks later...