The Egyptians

Tyrannosaurus

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the idea for this mod! I just wanted to share I made an Egyptian column using google sketchup a few months ago and was wondering if you wanted to use it. It is not the best model-- I am not very good at 3D modeling, but if it is just going to be a part of a building I think it should do. Also, if you want to use real hieroglyphs on your buildings I would recommend the program jsesh ( http://jsesh.qenherkhopeshef.org/ ). I am learning the Middle Egyptian language and use it a lot for that. Keep up the good work!

The progress:

post-4287-0-91739300-1346277148_thumb.jp

(also: how can I make the picture bigger in the forum? it doesn't allow me to place links to images so I use attachments, but they always stay small)

I added three amphorae on the ground and two reed mats and headrests on the roof. Still work in progress though.

Edited by idanwin

(also: how can I make the picture bigger in the forum? it doesn't allow me to place links to images so I use attachments, but they always stay small)

You should most definitely be allowed to post links to images (though it has to be a link to an actual image rather than the dynamic kind of links you get with e.g. the attachments). I've changed some settings which I know have been causing some kind of similar trouble in the past, so please try again, and if it doesn't work please let us know step by step what it is that you are trying to do that doesn't work :)

The progress:

post-4287-0-91739300-1346277148_thumb.jp

I added three amphorae on the ground and two reed mats and headrests on the roof. Still work in progress though.

Nice - I think that's the right direction :) My first thought when I saw the mat on the roof was that's a sleeping or resting area, all it's missing is an awning or something for shade (y)

Maybe since there's a walled in space now you could add a few plants or a "garden" area, nothing too lush as there's hardly any rainfall, more of a natural space :P You could even prop some existing livestock actor(s) in a corner. Some sources I read suggested house roofs were most often thatched not stone, but I'm not sure about the case of multiple stories. Looking at our Carthaginian house variants, they appear to be thatched on the highest flat part of the roof.

Enrique, congratulations for you first 3 egyptian buildings, they are excellent and a very inspiring basis for this civilization. I'm glad the Egyptians are on their way to be part of the game.

Good work too Idanwin! Good luck for finding the time you want. I know that well. ;)

About the pyramid : I imagine the golden summit not shining anymore, but on the contrary, darkened and affected by centuries of non-maintenance, under the effects of winds full of sand. I imagine maintaining such building may have seem a waste of energy for late Egyptians, and that this decoration up there would have turned almost invisible, at least reaching a color close to that of the stones beneath.

Basically, if it is 2000 years older than the buildings the gamer places himself, then the pyramid should look 2000 years old. The Khephren pyramid has an interesting summit "texture" :

20051215-090016_jpg.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I think that we should try to get the Ptolomaic Diadochy in the game before it goes gold-- maybe when the Mauryans are being finished we should bring it up for discussion. I know that there is a previous thread somewhere that digressed into several tangents, but we should try to make having Egyptians, even if they are heavily Hellenized, a part of the offical game.

Scythia was relatively insignificant, but it is possible that there would be some Scythian units and buildings.

Well, Scythians destroyed Urartu, threatened Assyria and happily raided the Fertile Crescent, just to return to their native Steppes to be a thorn in the Persian side. All before 0 A.D.'s timeframe, though. I'd like to see a Scythian faction and when there will be Cavalry Archer animations in the future, I might just mod one myself.

... and when there will be Cavalry Archer animations in the future, I might just mod one myself.

There is one such animation available that looks fine to me (used it for a little mod of an Amazone cavalry unit):

<animation event="0.84" file="biped/rider_archer_atk_a.psa" load="0.16" name="Attack" speed="50"/>

It is not perfect, as the bow goes through the horse's head, but that is a minor thing ;)

post-14722-0-76540900-1348933476_thumb.p

Edited by dvangennip

There is one such animation available that looks fine to me (used it for a little mod of an Amazone cavalry unit):

<animation event="0.84" file="biped/rider_archer_atk_a.psa" load="0.16" name="Attack" speed="50"/>

It is not perfect, as the bow goes through the horse's head, but that is a minor thing ;)

post-14722-0-76540900-1348933476_thumb.p

Nice! I wonder when this animation was added, but then again, I was largely inactive for a year ...

Your unit looks also nice, may I ask for which faction its meant to be? It seems to be a Hellennic/Steppe people kind of mix.

Your unit looks also nice, may I ask for which faction its meant to be? It seems to be a Hellennic/Steppe people kind of mix.

I was merely trying my hand at modding, so I decided to make a few female warriors based on the Amazones myths. The most believable explanation is that these women were Scythian/steppe people who's husbands were out of town (and perhaps died). Any references are mainly Greek, so you are correct with your guess on the appearances. However, I just remixed existing props and textures, so the body texture is actually of the Britonic queen Boudicca :) Other units borrow from the Scythian ones as available among the Persian and Hellenic factions.

• 4 weeks later...

I am currently trying to get into a good university, so I have no time left to spend on 3d models and games. However, once I've done my aptitude test and (hopefully) interview ... and once I've finished my rhetorics examinations, I will try to continue working on this project. If any people are willing to take over, you're welcome.

just out of curiosity, would anyone mind if i adapted some units and structures from this into my own mod idea? it also includes the Egyptians, but is dated to only the New Kingdom (the height of independent Ancient Egyptian power) and would also be encompassing their mythology as part of the civilization

just out of curiosity, would anyone mind if i adapted some units and structures from this into my own mod idea? it also includes the Egyptians, but is dated to only the New Kingdom (the height of independent Ancient Egyptian power) and would also be encompassing their mythology as part of the civilization

When Mauryans are finished, I'll work on bring Egyptians (Ptolemies) into the game just for pleasure (I already have some half-finished textures). Even If is not a main faction, like a mini-faction (if there's no problem about it) :)

Oshron if you want to start working on it, just searching for some Egyptian gods images/hieroglyphs but with CC-BY-SA 3.0 or public domain images will boost the texture process creation. (I think there are nice public domain images of Egyptian gods in wikipedia)

This idea was on my mind even before joining WFG officially :P

post-13528-0-33660700-1351697217_thumb.j

post-13528-0-88361800-1351697226_thumb.j

I think there are nice public domain images of Egyptian gods in wikipedia

On Wikimedia Commons indeed there is a lot to find in public domain, definitely a key source for us. I just wonder : does anybody know if in Wikimedia Commons you can search pictures with a filter to "public domaine only", something like that ? That would make the research way faster. The other day I found a few good Babylon reference photos, but in the middle of dozens non public domain pictures, and the search was pretty long without any possibility to filter..

On Wikimedia Commons indeed there is a lot to find in public domain, definitely a key source for us. I just wonder : does anybody know if in Wikimedia Commons you can search pictures with a filter to "public domaine only", something like that ? That would make the research way faster. The other day I found a few good Babylon reference photos, but in the middle of dozens non public domain pictures, and the search was pretty long without any possibility to filter..

The way I searched was entering Egyptian god's names and some of them had even transparent background which is quite convenient for texture creation :)

But not all of them were in public domain. I also looked for some kind of filter like you said but failed at finding something like that

The way I searched was entering Egyptian god's names and some of them had even transparent background which is quite convenient for texture creation :)

Waow, that was a cool find !

I love Wikimedia Commons. It's full of all sorts of pictures, including svg and png. I've often used maps and symbols found out there.

Yes, those images were my work examples from my 3D artist application. It's an unfinished project. The goal was to have all walls with egyptian murals and such, but I abandoned the project to keep learning making other things. It was easy to make a lowpoly version of the temple for 0AD

Rendered with blender internal. The guy in the second image is not mine, I borrowed it from blendswap :P.