History Articles

Tzink

• 4 weeks later...

Thats not true, the hoplite defined the hellenistic civilisation, until the makedonians thought of the phalanx to complement their cavalry, and makedonians technically arent hellenes, they arent even greek. (i think)

The makedonians Had nothing to do with the hellenistic time period, for the most part. Alexandros Just conquered greece (i think?) and took his army over the aegean and took everything in a rather > direction, Mainly because the persians would have expanded further should they not done so. and because he wanted land and so did his men.

Edited by AuroN2

Auro... I don't even know what you're talking about. The Hellenistic Period was defined by hoplites? Are you confusing Hellenistic with Hellenic (a.k.a. Greek)? Because I said Hellenistic, not Hellenic.

Hellenic means Greek, from the Ancient Greek ethnonym Hellenes. Apparently you're using it to mean Classical Greece.

Hellenistic is the modern label applied to the time period between Alexandros' death and the Roman conquest of the Hellenistic regions (Greece, Egypt, etc.).

Alexandros Just conquered greece (i think?)
Philip II conquered Greece and his son Alexandros conquered the Persian Empire.

• 4 months later...