Formations

I'm thinking about formations like garrisoned siege towers. Currently, I use the garisoned siege towers of the Macedonians mainly because it's easier to control (of course, it also gives you more protection).

But I imagine formations a bit like the same. You can create a formation (for no prize, unlike the tower), you can change formation properties (like packing/unpacking a siege catapult), and you can garrison and ungarrison units in formations.

The main differences are in graphics (where the rendering depends on the type and number of units garrisoned), the health calculation (the formation can't be hit, only the units inside it) and pathfinding (a formation can split up for a short time to avoid hitting a tree).

But it would be wonderful if we could just select and command a formation like we do it with a normal unit (single click, no dragging).

Btw, wouldn't it be nice if only certain units (like a centurion for the Romans) could form a formation? So you have to create a centurion first, then you need to garrison other units in the formation of the centurion, and then you can control the formation by just clicking on it. It could serve as an alternative for a "tech to be researched".

And you can control a formation with one click, sanderd, you know about Control Groups, right? Well, i may be wrong, but i think the way you're describing will just add complexity to what is already complex: the pathfinder. And, really, formations weren't something exclusive to the Romans.

the Greek Phanlanx and Syntagma, Wall Shield, Spabara Formatios,

This Other for Stop Cavalry units.

shield-formation.jpg?w=640

The order to repel cavalry by Roman army officers brought about a defensive formation, in which the front rank formed a tight wall of shields with their pila protruding to form a line of spearheads ahead of the wall. Undoubtedly it would be very hard to bring a horse to break into that formation. The most likely occurrence would be that it would come to a halt of its own will ahead of the spearheads. It was at that moment that horse and rider would be at their most vulnerable against the ranks behind the first line of infantry which would then hurl their spears at them. Given the short distance and the training legionaries received, it is likely such halted cavalry, frantically trying to turn their horses around to retreat, whilst colliding with horses following in the charge, would prove very easy targets.

If one further considers the likely possibility of archers being present, the effect of this formation could indeed be devastating.

http://www.roman-empire.net/army/repel-cavalry.html

And you can control a formation with one click, sanderd, you know about Control Groups, right? Well, i may be wrong, but i think the way you're describing will just add complexity to what is already complex: the pathfinder. And, really, formations weren't something exclusive to the Romans.

I use control groups a lot, but I get problems using them. Sometimes I want to move multiple control groups to the same place, and hitting SHIFT+Number is annoying. And if I sometimes mistake with the CTRL, which reassigns groups, and I'm back to manually selecting them to put in groups.

I do agree that it would be complex for the pathfinder. It was just a possibility I gave.

The Units, may be, use Battalion mode, like Rise and Fall, Mythos Talk about this in

http://www.wildfireg...ll&fromsearch=1

Soliders spontaneously form battalions/formations.

True battalions like in Total War or Battle for Middle Earth 2.

With inteligent Battalion System, now we can do Batttalion Task, in Rise and Fall thats not happens, but happens in Total war, and Praetorians.

praetorians-pc-large-23.jpg

now, the problem is the animation, and may be Programming, but this is like Garrisonning in one sole Units, Not Problem with Pathfinding.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

Simple as it may look, it would still give some problems to the pathfinder. They can't be treated as one unit because this would make them stuck in, i.e. a narrow passage. Of course they could then be treated as multiple units, but it'd be what we call a 'hacky solution', and these kind of solutions must be avoided in 99,9% of the cases. Hacky solutions bring weird bugs with them (i.e. what would happen if the formation is attacked right when they're passing through the narrow passage?).

Simple as it may look, it would still give some problems to the pathfinder. They can't be treated as one unit because this would make them stuck in, i.e. a narrow passage. Of course they could then be treated as multiple units, but it'd be what we call a 'hacky solution', and these kind of solutions must be avoided in 99,9% of the cases. Hacky solutions bring weird bugs with them (i.e. what would happen if the formation is attacked right when they're passing through the narrow passage?).

Can be Flexible.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=CuEQmAOpHco#t=75s
Edited by Lion.Kanzen

• 3 months later...

I Found other reason why Roman Formation Defeat Macedonian Formation.

GLADIUS VERSUS SARISSA: ROMAN LEGIONS AGAINST GREEK PIKE PHALANX.

All know about Theory of Flank Phalanx:

A Phalanx in the process of being broken on its’ right flank

24241466_leg_bat_pidna_02.jpg

The proper tactic for taking on a Phalanx head on involved the Romans packing closely together, shield to back, several rows deep, creating a strong counterpush to the Phalanx. The Roman scutum however was wide enough that it left a narrow corridor in between each line of men, and it was through these that Legionnaires from the back rows would advance. And once up at the front ranks these Legionnaires would squeeze themselves out through the corridors and into the gaps created in the spearwall, hacking away at the pikes whilst making their way forward toward the first physical row of Phalangites

Source: http://weaponsandwarfare.com/?p=2776

Roman in Romantion Against Sythagma can Pull the Sarissa with Their shields and open Corridors. maybe with Stamina effect. i love this concept.

Gameplay.

when an Army in Formation clashes with other. Bonus+Stamina can give a advantage in Formation vs Formation Engagement Battle.

in this Case Phalanx can have 80% Stamina and roman 90%. the Bonus and Stamina percentage can be vital to break a formation.

cWgQVWA.png

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

When is Clashed the Bonus indicates how a swordsman Formation can break a Phanlanx/ Synthagma formation.

the formation is broken and its units are exposed against the winner formation.

xZNzOpu.jpg?1

ins this Specific Case the Animation is Roman open corridors through the Hellenistic formation.

this is Alternate gameplay concept. may be im the first im thinking in this but i exposed to community and Developers to Features fror second part.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen