Summary screen

I'm working on summary screen, currently in my working copy it looks like this:

post-9635-1287774764_thumb.jpg

post-9635-1287774818_thumb.jpg

What is probably too ugly :ok: I hope someone can help me with UI design for this page - this is the main purpose of this topic :)

Update: The text in the column headers should be center-aligned, but this is currently not working for multiline text like this.

Update 2: I want to create a trac ticket for technical discussions/review a bit later. Trac ticket: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/ticket/638

Edited by fcxSanya

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For UI appearance and theme, I'd suggest replicating the colors and textures in the UI activity found here:

http://www.wildfiregames.com/forum/index.p...ndpost&p=212325

Good idea :) What about this(?) :

post-9635-1287940327_thumb.jpg

Update:

A nice example of end game graphs is Globulation 2

http://globulation2.org/wiki/images/c/c6/A...statsscreen.jpg

You can toggle on/off players from the graph to compare between players more easily. It also shows you your stats throughout the game, not just totals at the end of it.

As I wrote in the IRC, I too think that we need to implement something like this. But I'm not sure how much time it will took and I probably will do some other tickets before start working on this. If someone else want to work on these graphs this would be good :)

Edited by fcxSanya

That's an improvement, but what do you guys think, is there too much colour on it now? Also should this screen not follow the darker colours of Alpha 2's in-game UI?

I would definitely tame the colors and try to restrict them to like a square on the left and a bottom border or something.

I would definitely tame the colors and try to restrict them to like a square on the left and a bottom border or something.

Are you mean the player colours, right? There is the alpha component for it, so we can soften it like this:

post-9635-1287946414_thumb.jpg

Or change coloured lines to small squares like this:

post-9635-1287946546_thumb.jpg

Update:

Also I have a question about these counters: should they include the initial player's units/buildings/resources or only produced/gathered in the playtime? I think usually initial values are added to these counters.

Edited by fcxSanya

Maybe a combination of both? Full colour boxes on the left (like the second image), and an even lighter colour background across (like the first image, but more alpha).

If that isn't possible though (or it looks weird), I don't mind the full length bars across, but maybe they don't touch the edges of the box, but go as far as the column edges?

Edited by k776

Maybe a combination of both? Full colour boxes on the left (like the second image), and an even lighter colour background across (like the first image, but more alpha).

If that isn't possible though (or it looks weird), I don't mind the full length bars across, but maybe they don't touch the edges of the box, but go as far as the column edges?

I'm with k776.

Something like this(?):

post-9635-1287949488_thumb.jpg

Also should this screen not follow the darker colours of Alpha 2's in-game UI?

Probably it should, but as far as I know there is no corresponding styles for buttons/dialogs etc, we have new style only for in-game GUI now. I think it is what Michael meant:

Somebody though really should create a more aesthetically pleasing look for these dialogs and screens. I fear it might fall to me to do it.

Good job, can't wait to see something other than a large blank window when I leave the game :ok:

Re: getting the colors to match with the game setup: once the setup patch is committed, then the player colors will be set from a single defaults file or as specified by a scenario. So, for the summary screen, you could probably just read the colors from the player entities and they will be identical. (This also leaves open interesting possibilities, like cooperative players having the same color, teams with matching colors, etc.)

The summary screens look really nice :ok: !

For the counters I'd prefer to see only units/resources/etc built by user, excluding initially provided units/etc.

Could you also add the Vegetarian Ratio (= Vegetarian Food / Total Food * 100) to the resource panel? I see it in The Settlers IV and I like it.

• 3 weeks later...

Would it be hard to add something like % of map discovered? There are a lot of other things which would make sense to add later, but that could be worthwhile to have already if it's not too hard to implement.

I will try to add it. Initially I added statistics, which is easily accessible in the simulation code; I think I need to dig into some engine components (and consulting with Philip) to get access to FoW/SoD variables.

Pretty good work, but I'd also suggest darker colours for the background, they look more "pro", and too light colors can be a bit hard to look at in such screens.

Maybe you could differentiate winning and losing summary screens? I know some games do so ( I'm pretty sure AgeOf II did so, but It's been a long time since I lost at this game :) ), and it looks rather nice.

You could also try adding some shades to the overall screen, or make textures a bit different, but that's just my tastes.