I made a ticket on Philip's suggestion.

http://trac.wildfiregames.com/ticket/633

I'd prefer the last option of just linking repair with building. Repair would happen at the same rate as building and have the same associated cost. The benefit of repairing would be that damaged buildings can still research technologies and train troops (maybe there are some gameplay opportunities here regarding damaged buildings and ships, but that is another discussion).

Currently right now the repair rate is capped at 1 HP per second and is excruciatingly slow and too manpower intensive for the player to do.

It sure takes some thinking. I mean to be realistic it can probably both take more and less time to repair a building than to build a new one (longer because you'd need to clear away the rubble, shorter because the main structure is already there). Gameplay-wise: I'd say repairing is better than building a new building both for the reason you mention and also because you'd have a whole building for say 25% as opposed to 100% of the time/resource cost. Though of course, if you'd build a new building you'd have two buildings, only with the caveat that one of them is 25% weaker.

That last point makes me think we should at least make the repair rate somewhat quicker than the build rate. Or the cost, not sure which is easiest, the latter is probably more realistic as one could reuse some of the old material.

Then again, when we have limits for how many of a certain building one can have in a territory it's automatically more valuable to repair as you'd have to demolish a building to be able to build a new one if you're at the limit, so perhaps a 1:1 ratio is good enough :ok:

It sure takes some thinking. I mean to be realistic it can probably both take more and less time to repair a building than to build a new one (longer because you'd need to clear away the rubble, shorter because the main structure is already there). Gameplay-wise: I'd say repairing is better than building a new building both for the reason you mention and also because you'd have a whole building for say 25% as opposed to 100% of the time/resource cost. Though of course, if you'd build a new building you'd have two buildings, only with the caveat that one of them is 25% weaker.

That last point makes me think we should at least make the repair rate somewhat quicker than the build rate. Or the cost, not sure which is easiest, the latter is probably more realistic as one could reuse some of the old material.

Then again, when we have limits for how many of a certain building one can have in a territory it's automatically more valuable to repair as you'd have to demolish a building to be able to build a new one if you're at the limit, so perhaps a 1:1 ratio is good enough :ok:

Here is an idea. Repairing could perhaps not fully restore all of the hp. For example a percentage of the damage received during a raid could not be regained(perhaps 10-30%?). Over many attacks this would force the player to rebuild a new building. This allows repairing to be quicker and cheaper while not being overused. It could also be used to balance civilizations (some factions are better at making repairs?).

If this were implemented it would be nice to represent the unrepairable hp in the health bar over the building.

Any way, just throwing it out there. :) What do you think?

Edited by DerWer