Civs

Tzink

Not really, they just were out of the zone in this era, doesnt mean they werent in the era alltogether, and i c dacians, ftw. And why parthians then? i justdungetsit? i'm positive the republic of rome sent armies to deal with parthia (all, sadly, never got back easily, if at all)

My point exactly, 'is said', we don't know if they were just tribes warring for a few hundred years untouched by the romans, celts and steppe tribesmen, or if they just popped up going 'hey lets like, own teh seas', found the americas, got kicked out by the natives, or buggered off, then went off to kick some medieval-euro @#$%--then of course find their weaponry outdated and in come the danes. (as a medieval nation, not as a viking nation--difference... no idea, but whatever.)

My point exactly, 'is said', we don't know if they were just tribes warring for a few hundred years untouched by the romans, celts and steppe tribesmen, or if they just popped up going 'hey lets like, own teh seas', found the americas, got kicked out by the natives, or buggered off, then went off to kick some medieval-euro @#$%--then of course find their weaponry outdated and in come the danes. (as a medieval nation, not as a viking nation--difference... no idea, but whatever.)

D'oh. The 'Viking Era' is like 300 years long. And a lot more than you mentioned. And if I know my stereotypes, there will be someone who makes a Viking mod/add-on. ;)

^ mod it. ;)

But, I wouldn't have the Vikings. Unless your mod goes medieval on us.

Mind, although the 'flesh and blood' ancestors of the Vikings were probably present in the region, the people there were not Vikings as we know them. They were separated from that culture by a thousand years.

That means, if you want anything historically representative, that would mean no longboats, no chain mail... I would suspect a material culture similar to that available to the Celts at the time, if distinct in design.

Now I'm no expert about ancient Scandinavia (far from it). So instead I found this little tidbit on Wikipedia:

The Iron Age north of the Alps is divided into the Pre-Roman Iron Age and the Roman Iron Age. In Scandinavia, further prehistoric periods follow up to AD 1000: the Migration Period, the Vendel or Merovingian Period and the Viking Period. The earliest part of the Iron Age in Northern Germany and Denmark was dominated by the Jastorf culture.

Early Scandinavian iron production typically involved the harvesting of bog iron. The Scandinavian peninsula, Finland and Estonia show sophisticated iron production from c. 500 BC. Metalworking and Asbestos-Ceramic pottery co-occur to some extent. Another iron ore used is was iron sand (such as red soil). Its high phosphorus content can be identified in slag. Such slag is sometimes found together with asbestos ware-associated axe types belonging to the Ananjino Culture.

So, yeah, I'd probably go instead with the Ananjino culture and focus your research for the civilization on them.

Edited by Cassador_Chris

On second thought, research in pursuit of the Jastorf Culture might be more productive. I spend a while trying to find out something about the Ananjino Culture, but there is apparently very little about it. JSTOR had a whole one article mentioning the Ananjino, and it was in German I think. I'd have to try my university library, but I'm nowhere near that now.

There seems to be more on the Jastorf Culture, which appears to be influenced by the proto-Celtic Hallstatt Culture. Though they appear to be more centered on northern Germany and southern Denmark than Scandinavia. Either way, it'll be tough to build a civilization on it.

The proposed second release (0-500 AD) will undoubtedly have a Germanic tribe or two anyway. There will be more information on them from that period anyway, rather than just archaeology.

The Romans didn't. In fact, they never ever expanded their empire east beyond the Sargos and the Caucasus mountains. So they barely had any political or military contact with India. Thought, they would fit into the game. (there are, as I understand it, Indian environments and Indian textures)