cheats

dementor

• 3 weeks later...
Mostly averted in Civilization and Age Of Empires, by virtue of being over a long period of time and the techs being things that people have lived without doing. e.g. writing. In Age Of Empires, villagers have the oddity of being unable to use ranged attacks against humans, yet you can shoot or spear animals. You can have oddities with research however, by ignoring techs that should be related on some level. Depending on which techs you ignore, and for how long, you may invent, say, the printing press, before you discover writing, or figure out how to manipulate chemicals to make big booms without even giving your people shoes and wool clothes.

Yeah, hmm. Not sure what other way there is around that other than having a huge web of prerequisites for each technology... something that might make it either confusing for the player or just plain frustrating.

Guys.... I was suggesting a cheat code, not a mandatory piece of a real tech tree just to frustrate players. You know, a cheat? A joke?

Breathing: A joke technology that actually does nothing, for laughs. Never suggested it should be a real or mandatory tech or prerequisite.

The link is only there in case you don't get the joke...

Edited by Aldandil

why don't you have faction unique cheats, for instance, for the Hellenes, you could have a cheat code, "This Is Sparta!!" which summons a bunch of hollywood type spartan hoplites to assist you. For the celts you could have the cheat be "Ride of the Valkyrie", which makes all of your celtic men have Wagnerish Viking helmets and the music would change to Wagner music. Maybe they could have a "Singing" aura that frightens everything but super units and heroes.

Edited by Thorfinn the Shallow Minded

• 4 weeks later...

I remember the Photon men in aoe. lol I loved how they shot lasers. I was thinking a little bit different though and would do this.

Fortunate Son - Vietnam Era U.S. Soldiers pop out of TC with M-16's and have good attack against units and maybe have a dig in capability.

TIGER!!!- Giant Tiger tank from WW2 pops out of TC. Can run over buildings and units kinda like the monster truck in AOE3 can fire huge Cannon. idk sounded cool to me.

any more ideas anyone?

Edited by NOXAS1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Mirror Towers

Are you talking about the towers in the first Age of Empires that implemented Archimedes' Ray? If so that would be an awesome cheat :D. If not, you must have a different cool idea.

If the game were to do Archimedes' Ray for the game, it might be good to envision it differently than AoE did simply because we don't know how it happened, and we can be original.

I think we should have the cheats in multiplayer, but only if everyone in that session is ok with it. Make it a toggle-able thing in the (saved) settings so if one player has it toggled then no one can join the game they're in unless they also have "no cheats" toggled. Also as I said saved settings, it shouldn't be something that can be changed back and forth once the game has been started. If you start the game with cheats you shouldn't be able to turn them off for everyone else once you're done using them. Cheats, mods, hacks, exploits, etc are a tad controversial, there have been a few instances in my life's gaming where the cheats were what made the game playable or fun. Honestly I don't want to spend days building up a character just to get killed by a rat.........or something else thats more RTS...

I think we should have the cheats in multiplayer, but only if everyone in that session is ok with it. Make it a toggle-able thing in the (saved) settings so if one player has it toggled then no one can join the game they're in unless they also have "no cheats" toggled. . . . there have been a few instances in my life's gaming where the cheats were what made the game playable or fun.

I agree. Cheats in multiplayer tends to be looked down upon, but if you make it so it has to be agreed upon, it would be fun (especially in co-op matches).

Something that would help with this is if we could have in-game profiles setup (kinda like GWFL does) and have a section for what game settings/gameplay you prefer (so you don't annoy people asking them if they want to cheat; you could look at their profile and see if they like to). If not, an off-site profile linked within the game similar to how the manual is linked.

Speaking of cheats making games playable or fun, I remember making my own Game Genie cheats for the Gameboy. I had a code series that would often (about 50% of the games I tried) allow walking through walls :ph34r:. I would also hex hack (use a hexidecimal editor) to change Hit Points values in PC games. Those were the days.

Edited by daudbinbutrus

please no spam .... so nothing crazy ideas left and right taken from other films or games!

out of my territory. Description: destroy enemy units and converts enemy facilities in your (the only player maps vs. IA)

Espionage of the territory (ESPOFthete) reveals all the cities, land and seas of the map (for player vs. player)

"Vedi, vidi, vici": Adds 50 legionnaires (only 3 times a player vs. player)

Earth quake (DISAEaerth): remove 50 of life to all buildings (including their own)

Sea earthquake (MArseA): all ships and ports have 50 damage.

Bloodthirst (BLothirs): Increases the attack by 200% for 1 minute (3 times player vs. player)

Pure evil (purevil): when the troops attacked a structure and destroy enemy steal a quantity of resources.