Faction map

Pureon

Isn't Tyrus (Tyros?) a Greek form of the name? Does anybody know what the Phoenicians or Persians called it?

It's hard to know for sure, as the Phoenicians didn't use vowels in their written language. Though, someone in here might have read an educated guess. According to Wikipedia, it is suggested as "Sur". But the question is, what do you really connect "Sur" with? On the other hand, what do you connect Tyre (Tyros is Greek, Tyrus is Latin) with? I think it should remain Tyros/Tyrus due to the fame of that name.

The biggest problem is ONE map for a timezone of roughly 500 years.

Meaning: The name of cities changed continously, depending on the '''civ''' in control.

Maybe its best to stick with the most known name ( mostly latin I guess ).

Or maybe you can make a second map with only the capitals of the six civs, to make it more clear ( although this might prove difficult for the celtic and iberian cultures)...

I think the problem is that for naming to be consistent, the map has to be "romanocentric" or "hellenocentric". By that I mean the names have to be Latin or Greek. If we want Macedon to be Makedonia, for example, it only makes sense that Carthage is not Carthago but Karkhēdōn. Roman names are more easily recognised, of course, and extend into Western Europe.

Also, Romans were known for using native names for cities but feminine Latin names for regions. The list is endless: Graecia, Iberia, Italia, Persia, Brittania, Germania, Gallia, Africa, Asia, Laconia, etc.

I find it interesting that the map shows cities rather than the Roman provinces that we're all used to.

@plumo, Alpha, Aldandil: The extended timezone is making things difficult, but lets stick with one map if we can, otherwise we would end up creating many different versions. I originally looked at only having the capitals on the map, but this left many of the more historically relevant locations off.

Tyrus would be my preference over Sur, it's closer to other names for the city, including the current one.

@goblor: You're right, no idea how that ended up so far south!

Am working on the changes now. Thanks everyone!

Edit:

0admap4.jpg

This one's at 60% zoom

Edited by Pureon

It's hard to know for sure, as the Phoenicians didn't use vowels in their written language. Though, someone in here might have read an educated guess. According to Wikipedia, it is suggested as "Sur". But the question is, what do you really connect "Sur" with? On the other hand, what do you connect Tyre (Tyros is Greek, Tyrus is Latin) with? I think it should remain Tyros/Tyrus due to the fame of that name.

For the record: The Hebrew Bible calls it "Sor"