Faction map

Pureon

Throwing this at the historians:

0admap.jpg

Awesome map my friend, I could never make something as awesome as that. But, I want to address a couple of things: Seleucia wasn't built before Seleucus took control there, so Persians with Seleucia... Is it possible to simply rename it Babylon, Susa or Ektabana and move it a little. Also, Antioch was founded by Seleucus the I, so I wasn't there when the Persians ruled. I'd suggest Tyre in stead (as this was the Persian fleet base) if it is possible for you to do changes on the map.

Edit: come to think of it, in place of Valencia, perhaps use Carthago Nova (Cartagena) as it was historically more important in this period?

Edited by Alpha of the Eagles

@Alpha: I appreciate the feedback, I don't have much knowledge of the period, so that's just what the map needed. All the text is editable, as is everything else, so feel free to let me know what needs changing.

The cities I've included are from maps found online with dates between 300 BC to about 100AD. It's easy to add cities, so if there are important ones missing, do let me know.

I'll make your recommended changes when I get home after work.

The choice of cities could be more historically correct/relevant.

La coruna? Maybe chose 'Numantia'

Marseille can also be added

Lugdunum ( Lyon) instead of Cenabum?

As this game spans from 500 BC. to approximately 1 AD (?) , was Augusta Treverorum already of significant importance/size AND was it already roman?

AFAIK Babylon should be where Susa is now, and Susa should be off the east edge.

I'm pretty sure Babylon is right, and Susa is very close. At least considered the immense zoom-out it has. ;)

Also noticed, you didn't change Antioch. :) (It wasn't built in the Persian period of reign). My suggestion was Tyre as it was the naval base for the Persians, but if anyone else have another nearby suggestion of more importance, please overrule me. I'm really just naming places on the top of my head of what I could recall from reading.

Also noticed, you didn't change Antioch. :) (It wasn't built in the Persian period of reign). My suggestion was Tyre as it was the naval base for the Persians...

Honestly completely forgot to make that change, it was on my list, nothing personal ;) Have changed it to Tyre and moved it to the correct location in my Master psd document. Also moved 'PERSIONS' further south. (I'll post a new image when more changes have been made)

Any notable locations in Africa we're missing? North-eastern Europe is also very empty.

Edited by Pureon

Personally I would use the latin / Greek names of a few cities f.e. :

1. Marseille ==> Massilia

2. Rome ==> Roma

3. La coruna ==> A coruna // Brigantium (after Roman conquest)

Other tweaks:

Lugdunum = Lyon ===> Should be placed a little more to the southeast from current position.

Smyrna can be replaced by Pergamum, which was more relevant, especially in the Roman Era.

Maybe also add Pontus as city ?

Makes it more historically relevant IMO

Great work, the map looks stunning !!!

Edited by plumo

Personally I would use the latin / Greek names of a few cities...

Agreed. I'll update to Massilia, Roma, and A coruna. Will take a look at your other recommendations too. Many thanks plumo!

@dementor: Could do, but I don't want to step on anyone's toes, the developers probably already have something planned.

What resolution do you have it in? Is it possible for you to scale it up to 1920x1080 (and then we can have smaller resolutions down from there)?

The entire map in photoshop is 2200x1300, although that has a lot of extra map space:

0admapfullsmall-1.jpg

The map part (land+water) is originally from Illustrator, and therefore easily scalable. The hardest part is adding the details. Here is Greece using the same photoshop texture effects but much much bigger:

0adgreece.jpg

0admap3.jpg

@Jeru: Purely graphical - to keep the current factions closer together. I did move it East a bit, but I guess not enough ;) Sorry! Looking at various maps of the Persian Empire it's within the boundaries though:

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/articles/...an%20Empire.jpg

@Mythos_Ruler: Can I mail the psd to you over the weekend? I don't think everyone is quite happy with it yet.

Edited by Pureon

Just to check, did you make all the components of the image yourself or get them from freely-reusable sources, or did any come from non-free sources? (If we use it in the game we need to be reasonably careful about copyright licensing.)

Understood. The map (water/land) is from various wikipedia vectors I merged together and edited. The original canvas texture is from an artist on deviantART, which I've edited and expanded, license info here. Everything else is drawn in Photoshop or Illustrator.