New Screenshot - 8/21/04

Aeros

http://wildfiregames.com/0ad/album_page.php?pic_id=257

Hurray, I lived up to my promise - you didn't have to wait 2 months for a new screenshot :) This one comes in exactly 3 weeks after the previous shots, again focused on the celtic art in the game. As with the previous screenshot, this screenshot's caption releases more interesting facts on the world of 0AD.

Since I have nothing else fill up this slot of text, I'll go ahead and quote the screenshot's caption.

This screenshot features some of the domesticated animals in 0 A.D. Wandering domestic animals may killed for immediate food supply or they may be placed in corrals for long term food supply. When done so, these animals provide a steady stream of reliable food. The more animals you have corralled, the more food you will receive. Corrals in 0 A.D. are a quick way to kick start your economy early in the game. Each civilisation gets a unique bonus for domesticating certain types of animals. For example, the Iberians have a bonus for rabbits and the Carthagians for elephants.

Nothing more to say, other than incidently this is also the first screenshot with Mipmapping. We've had it for a while, but it's just our nature to not give you any idea of how far in development we are :P. On a further technical note, we've got a new alpha blending system (the method at which one terrain blends to into another) so hats off to Rich for doing that :D

By the way, This is the first screenshot that I blasted my Anti Aliasing(8x), Anisotropic Filtering (16x) and Quality setting on my graphics card, the results are amazing, very sharp and contrasted. Just the what we're aiming for.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know exactly what I'll say, very nice screenshot:

<Barry_White.gif>

I've heard people say that

Too many screenshots is not good for you, Bobby

Oh no

But I don't know about that

There's many screenshots that we've released

We've shared celtic villages and roman soldiers

It doesn't seem to me like it's enough

There's just not enough of it

There's just not enough

Oh oh, bobby

CheeZy, I

Can’t get enough of those sheep, babe

CheeZy, I don’t know, I don’t know why

I can’t get enough of those sheep, babe

Barry_White.gif>

Without a doubt, some very excellent wildlife. Will post a newspost later this evening.:)

Woop Woop! :) That was heart warming, Sunny :D

Ok, since 3 people have already asked me - Mipmapping is where a texture gradually blurs as the view point zooms out. Otherwise there are too many pixels fighting over a small ammount of space and it starts to look ugly and distorts the texture. Instead, Mipmapping blurs it by scaling down the texture. Also, you if you look down a field you won't be able to see a blade of grass 100 feet away, but you can see a blade of grass thats right infront of you. Mipmapping takes care of that factor too.

Generally, it means the game is going to look better.

Rabbit, Sheep, Pig :) .

The screenshot is very nice. What kind of filtering are you using for mipmapping though? I think it's not quite the highest one (GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR), although I may be wrong.

And mipmapping is not something to be *that* proud of :D. You can generate mipmaps with one line when you create the texture.

Another great screenshot! Although mipmapping may not always be well and good - when playing games with BSP trees, the polygons are rendered with mipmapped textures, and as you move farther away, there is a strange line that seperates the blurred/non-blurred textures. It's almost not noticeable, but still is visible...

And you say that all the other screens were antialiased and anisotropically filtered? I can't see any difference!

Great job!