Alpha feedback

Pureon

Apparently I haven't been posting enough screenshots recently on the public forums! Here are some shots of Mediterranean Cove, one of the new maps we're releasing with Alpha 6:

CUT

Many thanks to Mythos_Ruler for his time testing and improving the map (oh and sneakily renaming it while I wasn't looking ;))!

wonderful :victory:

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Note to self - skip project of real world maps, because the devs are creating much more awesome stuff than you.

Nah. If you wanted to make some real-world maps, go ahead. We might make a new 'sort' in the game setup map list called "real-world" (where you choose Demo, Random Map, All, etc.)

t0Q1Gl.jpg

Maybe we can coordinate the areas we make. I think these would be good:

- Greece

- The Aegean Sea

- Italy and Illyria (Split by the Adriatic Sea)

- Sicily and Magna Graecia (Lower Italian Peninsula)

- North Africa (Tunisia, Carthage, Numidia)

- Upper Egypt and Palestine

- Gaul (France, Belgium, Netherlands)

- Iberian Peninsula (Spain, Portugal)

- The British Isles

- Syria and Mesopotamia

- Asia Minor (Turkey)

Nah. If you wanted to make some real-world maps, go ahead.

Well, I had a try on a Greece one some time back, but it wasn't really as detailled or realistic as yours. If I start again now, my maps wouldn't be able to keep up with your mapping skills.

We might make a new 'sort' in the game setup map list called "real-world" (where you choose Demo, Random Map, All, etc.)

Like the AoK expansion? That would be great. If provinces are implemented, you could name them and their respective capitals after historical counterparts.

- Greece

- The Aegean Sea

- The British Isles

- Syria and Mesopotamia

- Asia Minor (Turkey)

Sounds great! I would perhaps add Iran, with Mesopotamia/the Caucasus to the west, the Persian Gulf/Indian Ocean to the south, the Hindukush to the east and the Asian Steppes to the North. Would be good for having the homelands of each faction.

Did you do Greece from scratch with a map beside you or did you have some kind of coastline/elevation data to begin with? (The Empire Earth editor supported elevation data to create real world maps)

But as I said, I won't be able to keep up with your mapping skills, especially if you do these maps from scratch.:)

Nah. If you wanted to make some real-world maps, go ahead. We might make a new 'sort' in the game setup map list called "real-world" (where you choose Demo, Random Map, All, etc.)

- Greece

- The Aegean Sea

- The British Isles

- Syria and Mesopotamia

- Asia Minor (Turkey)

Greece will play a central role in the maps I guess ( persian wars, peloponesian wars, ...). I'd also love to see a map of Greece incorporating the Western Coast of Turkey and Crete. But the list looks perfect to me. Btw: is this the maximum size that is possible ?

just out of curiosity, would it be at all cannon to have any maps take place in an arctic/winter environment? atm it seems like all of the maps have similar climate conditions, but the addition of some different climate areas could make the overall map pool more interesting.

just out of curiosity, would it be at all cannon to have any maps take place in an arctic/winter environment? atm it seems like all of the maps have similar climate conditions, but the addition of some different climate areas could make the overall map pool more interesting.

See the Maps section of the Design Document for a list of all planned biomes: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Design_Document#Maps But the short answer is yes, there will be winter maps as well :)

• 3 weeks later...

First of all, for those of you watching this from the embedded video, stop what you're doing. Watch here instead:

Second, Paul, this video is fantastic! A bit repetitive if you watch the whole thing, but it does a great job of showcasing the additions that have been made since the last video we released. This belongs on ModDB. AFAIK you have posting permission there, so feel free to upload this whenever you've got a minute.

Bravo! (y)

Just to let you know that I like this Easter Egg (well, it really looks like a test for flying objects) that will be in Alpha VI:

0adwwii.png

The P51-Mustangs can also fight themself and drop bombs on structures!

0adwwii2.png

It would be nice to add a bit of other WWII vehicles (e.g. Sherman, Panzer IV, Stuka) and a proper map to have a mini WWII game inside 0 A.D.!

:tank::tank::tank::tank:

Just to let you know that I like this Easter Egg (well, it really looks like a test for flying objects) that will be in Alpha VI:

The P51-Mustangs can also fight themself and drop bombs on structures!

It would be nice to add a bit of other WWII vehicles (e.g. Sherman, Panzer IV, Stuka) and a proper map to have a mini WWII game inside 0 A.D.!

:tank::tank::tank::tank:

yeah... i want a WWII mod :banana:

and also a crusade mod, a renaissance mod, a napoleonic mod, a..................... :P

Good video Pureon. I like the scenery very much

Hey fabio, I might want to use your screenshot in the Alpha 6 release announcement, is that okay?

No problem, note however that due to bug #803 (which it's a driver issue) my minimaps are a bit broken. Also my second screenshot has tearing (noticeable on a plane and his shadow).

We talked about making a WWII minimod (one idea of mine was the Me-262 German jet fighter). However, we decided it would be best to release a wider variety of Easter egg objects to help spur and inspire modders and modding teams.