Alpha feedback

Pureon

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guessed I was confused by the "basic formations", thinking that more than one have been implemented.

As for the grayed out... I thought they were grayed out because I hadn't selected them yet!

Just some small stuff I miss:

The idle villager button. Not sure how this would work with 0 AD though, as the villagers are also very often soldiers. But something like it.

A "choose your civ" in the single player mode.

...there were a few other things but I can't remember them atm...

Somebody once pointed out that it would look silly and unrealistic for buildings to be on fire indefinitely without actually burning down. I was thinking that the props showing damage would be broken parts, such as covering the door with a very thin prop that looks like a broken door, or whatever.

I understand your point Aldandil. Perhaps if a building's health has decreased below 30% the health can start to decrease slowly by itself, therefore simulating the effect of the fire.

Would Pyrogenesis be able to darken the textures 10-20% as the buildings health decreases? That could be an easy, less system intensive, way of simulating health. Anyway, I'm sure you guys have already discussed this a million times over...

Why does the Celtic temple look like Stonehenge :'(

Because in reality, the Celts had no temples and worshipped their gods in the open nature.

I see your point, though. Prior to the Celts, there was a megalithic culture in Western Europe who built the great monuments such as Stonehenge, Carnac and the like. However, I assume the developers of 0 A.D. follow the theory that the druids used the megalithic monuments to their own purposes, thus making it "sacred places" of the Celts.

Remember that this is a game, no history simulation.:ok:

I disagree, SMST.

It is true that celts worshipped their (hundreds of) gods in nature f. e. groves, etc.

However, it is also true that they often built corridors around some 'places of worship', mostly a simple palisade wall. Druids were responsible for these (maintenance, sacrifices) ( Nemeton , in greek I think) So it became a sort of primitive temple. Because of this (wooden materials) almost no remains are left of course, especially because the Romans heavily persecuted and wiped out druidism.

Whether the Celts actively worshipped their gods in pre-existing Megalithic remnants is something I should delve deeper into.

Edited by plumo

However, it is also true that they often built corridors around some 'places of worship', mostly a simple palisade wall. Druids were responsible for these (maintenance, sacrifices) ( Nemeton , in greek I think) So it became a sort of primitive temple. Because of this (wooden materials) almost no remains are left of course, especially because the Romans heavily persecuted and wiped out druidism.

I heard about primitive temples, but I thought they were not very widespread.

Whether the Celts actively worshipped their gods in pre-existing Megalithic remnants is something I should delve deeper into.

Well, I base this up on this Article of WFG (myth six: druids). While it is a interesting read, it does not cite any sources and therefore may be easily proven wrong.

Ok, I have ripped a few images out of a powerpoint from one of my teachers, that deals with the topic of religious constructions from the Iron age, mostly in the Netherlands. However, I've also added a French temple from around the same period that shows certain similarities, but is way more impressive and would be more appropriate for usage in a game. (And it was also in the powerpoint... lol)

temple1l.th.gif

temple2b.th.gif

These reconstructions are both from the 1st century A.D. a bit later but very similar. Still based on Dutch finds.

cultusplaatsossussen1ee.th.gif

cultusplaatshoogeloon1e.th.gif

And now the more impressive French one from Gournay sur Arronde from the 2nd century BC (la Tène B/C)

gournaysurarronde2eevch.th.gif

gsrlatenebc2eevchr.th.gif

The problem with Stonehenge is that it is very specific for one location and only represents a small area of the Celtic territory. And also that, although artefacts from the Iron Age and Roman (Iron) age have been found in and around Stonehenge, it is very uncertain whether it was used as a religious site during this period.

Edited by Vingauld

Stonehenge is very iconic and may be not the best choice for a celtic temple. ( keep as a prop ?)

On the other hand I agree with MythosRuler, a big oak tree would look stupid.

Compromise: what about a small remnant of megalitic culture that is found in France as well as England: Menhirs or Dolmen

Pros:

- More realistic ( because wide spread across celtic territories)

- looks nice no?

Edited by plumo

I have to say, I like the second temple building which Vingauld linked.

http://img180.imageshack.us/i/gournaysurarronde2eevch.gif/

The inner building, perhaps? :)

@Vingauld: Are you a student of archaeology/history? I always feel somewhat dumbed down if I think I know something in my high-school half-knowledge about history and a person, which is actually STUDYING the subject turns up and crumbles my beliefs. :ok::)

@plumo: If there would be a seperate British and Gaul faction, one could make the Vingauld Temple as temple building for Gaul and the Megalith (I agree that Stonehenge should be a campaign structure) as the British Temple.

Yeah, not only was Stonehenge built long before any people who could possibly be called "Celtic" existed, but it was one-of-a-kind. Other stone circles from the (pre-Celtic) Megalithic period were not hewn and had no lintels or trilithons. Most circular monuments from that time were earth and/or wood.

What Vingauld links looks like a much better choice. If something different cannot be found for the British sub-group, I would prefer to give them something very similar to the Gaul sub-group, instead of giving them something from the much older Megalithic period.

That said, I would love eye-candy for Stonehenge, a wooden henge/circle, an earth-bank henge, a regular stone circle, a dolmen, a menhir, etc.

Depending on how the game evolves, water unit movement restrictions will probably stop it functioning. But it was worthwhile making it anyway :)

Should continue to work, the restrictions are already implemented. :) Looks great btw :ok:

Will water level be static in a map?

Ebb and flow is not planned, but if someone wants to implement it we're not going to refuse putting in the game :D We're not going to delay the release for it though.

Thanks Mythos, must say it was one of your screenshots that inspired me to build it.

Trading with the Enemy

0ADtradingenemy01.jpg

0ADtradingenemy02.jpg

And for those of you that don't follow moddb, here are a few screenshots by Mythos showing the new Greek ship:

0ADtradingenemy04.jpg

0ADtradingenemy03.jpg

I really like the lighting on these Mythos, you must tell me how you did it one day! :ok: