Just Some Advices

First of all, hats off to the Developers, Editors, and all who has helped (and still helping) in the 0 A.D. project, because all of you guys have done a wonderful job building up a game which I would rate an ' All Rounder ' but there are a few things which i was thinking that you guys can put your hands upon :)

i) The Villagers Stop cutting Trees after they have finished with one.

ii) It would be easier if we Double Clicked a Certain Soldier and as a result all the same of soldiers are Selected.

iii) It would be more realistic if the Animals moved by themselves about a certain fixed place.

iv) Tree can be grown naturally in some places after a certain period of time.

v) Food by Fishes in the sea can be a nice addition.

.. and some questions:

** How to make more villagers..?

** How do you delete buildings which has been once built..?

Please forgive me if I'm wrong in any statements I've made.. Thanks.. n Best of Luck guys.. :)

i) The Villagers Stop cutting Trees after they have finished with one.
I'm planning to fix that later today :)
ii) It would be easier if we Double Clicked a Certain Soldier and as a result all the same of soldiers are Selected.
There's a patch for that, it just needs some fixes before being applied.
iii) It would be more realistic if the Animals moved by themselves about a certain fixed place.
They do that, since a few weeks ago (after the latest release).
iv) Tree can be grown naturally in some places after a certain period of time.
I don't think that's been part of our design. Why do you suggest that?
v) Food by Fishes in the sea can be a nice addition.
Brian has worked on implementing fishing, so hopefully that'll be there soon.
** How to make more villagers..?
There aren't villagers, there's just citizen soldiers (most infantry units, trained in lots of places) and female citizens (trained in houses).
** How do you delete buildings which has been once built..?
You can't (yet).

Brian has worked on implementing fishing, so hopefully that'll be there soon.
It works, but just has obstruction issues. The ships can't move over the fish. Also, the ships are all "round." This makes them overly wide in order to get a semi decent length. When the obstruction system gets improved, fishing, farming, and ship battles will work nicely. :)
There aren't villagers, there's just citizen soldiers (most infantry units, trained in lots of places) and female citizens (trained in houses).
I think I'll add them to the Civil Center later today. It looks like I already did that, so it should be in the next version.

Can you please provide me the patch where the Animals move freely..? and thanks for letting me know about how the Female Citizens are created.

** iv) Tree can be grown naturally in some places after a certain period of time.

I don't think that's been part of our design. Why do you suggest that? **

Reply: I have played a couple of games like Zeus, AOE, Empire Earth, Majesty, Settlers, Stronghold, etc.. In none I have seen the Trees grow again except Zeus, so i was thinking that as the game developers are trying to make the game realistic, they can program the game so that the trees can re-grow but in only the place fixed by the Map Editors.

& forgive me if I have missed anything, I tried playing the Single Player mode, but the opponent does not improve their Tribe at all.. They don't move, build, nothing.. :) That was a bit awkward because playing all by myself is kinda boring other than playing the Multiplayer mode. Do you guys have a patch for it, or you guys are working on it..? :)

N lastly i must admit that i really liked the Graphics, its really well accumulated in the game.

You can follow our news feed and we'll announce an alpha release some time fairly soon, which will have these improvements (and more!) :)

i was thinking that as the game developers are trying to make the game realistic, they can program the game so that the trees can re-grow but in only the place fixed by the Map Editors.
We're trying to make the game historically accurate in many ways, but not realistic - it's a game rather than a simulation :). Regrowing trees might be useful if we want players to have more resources available late in the game, but I don't know if that's a good thing. It's probably good to have limited resources so matches can't go on forever, and it forces players to spread out and become more vulnerable when they are searching for the last resources on the map and discourages turtling.

There's no enemy AI, so your opponents won't do anything at all. It's a complex feature and we haven't started working on it yet.

Also, the ships are all "round." This makes them overly wide in order to get a semi decent length.
Yeah, the current unit movement code assumes that all moving units are sort of round, so that it never has to care about what direction they're facing. We'll probably need a completely new movement implementation (i.e. replace UnitMotion) for ships, to take account of turning radius and acceleration and size, if we want it to be non-rubbish.

It works, but just has obstruction issues. The ships can't move over the fish. Also, the ships are all "round." This makes them overly wide in order to get a semi decent length. When the obstruction system gets improved, fishing, farming, and ship battles will work nicely. :)

they cant move over the fish? THAT'S the problem? well why not just make it so that they have to be NEXT to the fish and then cast out an aesthetic net over them?

that aside, shoreline fishing like in AOK would be good. it could be like: "Huh? Hey everyone, look! There's fish near the shore! Come on, let's go get some food!" because, presumably, the fish will be migrating around the map, right?

Edited by oshron

Fish didn't migrate in AoK. The problem with migrating fish (I did originally allow the fish to move) is that the boat may end up following the fish as they periodically move. A fishing boat should, for the most part, stay still. It makes it difficult to fish. The animals will be killed before meat is gathered which means a stationary target, but the fish are never killed, just collected. I've found it is difficult to gather from a moving source, even if it only moves periodically. Fish may move in the final version, but I think they will probably be stationary. (It wouldn't be difficult to change though.)

While it won't work for large fish like tuna and sturgeon, small fish could be stationary but represented with an animated model that consists of many small individual fish swimming around in a fairly large volume of water. I don't know whether this is feasible, but it would create both the impression of movement and of many small fish instead of a few huge ones, or a few small ones.

Presumably large fish like tuna and sturgeons would be represented in whatever way sharks and dolphins are represented.

Edited by Aldandil

it could also be that migrating fish are simply aesthetic while fish that can be gathered are stationary

one idea i came up with was to perhaps make it so that animals changed with the civilization as well in much the same way that units and buildings are. that gave me the idea to have just one tree of units and that they are changed depending on the civilization. for example, there would be one collective "great cat" unit that for an african civilization would become a lion while for an east asian civilization it would be a tiger. this could apply for any number of units and im mostly thinking of it in terms of my modern and mythology mods because much more of the world is represented

** It's probably good to have limited resources so matches can't go on forever **

Reply: Well, i do agree with you, but dont you think that there might be some players who will want to keep the game running..? I mean to say, expanding their empire and holding off enemies attack for a long time and try to dominate the whole land slowly..?

N are you guys working on destroying buildings which has been once built..?

Edited by thedevilishsaint

could it be that, at least with mineral resources, since those will be thee most limited (farms and corralled livestock can provide food indefinitely while you wouldnt run out of forests to chop unless you played for a day straight), that more become exposed over time? for example, there could just be special ore veins and stone deposits that are invisible and cant be mined at the beginning that appear after a set amount of time, say, 20 minutes? that way, even if you mine all the obvious quarries and veins in your immediate area, after a while another could appear and you'd be able mine that as well. otherwise, youd have to rely on trade

speaking of which, could it perhaps be that you can change which resource you want to trade with each individual merchant unit? for example, you could form an alliance with a weak computer player and defend them while a trade route of four merchants goes between the two civic centers, with one generating food, one for wood, one for metal, and one for stone? in retrospect, it kind of annoys me that merchants in previous games only generated gold, because in ancient times money wasnt everything, you could barter instead of paying.

Merchant: What would you like today?

Customer: I think I'll have that raw ore up on the shelf.

Merchant: That'll be eighty coins.

Customer: I don't have any coin on me, but how 'bout I trade you a few of my goats instead?

Merchant: Deal!

like that

I think we'll probably keep it simple, so resources and trading will most likely work as they did in Age of Empires. That said, there's nothing preventing a mod from implementing those features. Much of the gameplay logic is in JavaScript, which is a fairly easy to learn scripting language.

Well, since we don't have any "coin" resource I'd say a slightly more barter oriented trading is not too unlikely. :)

** iv) Tree can be grown naturally in some places after a certain period of time.

I don't think that's been part of our design. Why do you suggest that? **

Reply: I have played a couple of games like Zeus, AOE, Empire Earth, Majesty, Settlers, Stronghold, etc.. In none I have seen the Trees grow again except Zeus, so i was thinking that as the game developers are trying to make the game realistic, they can program the game so that the trees can re-grow but in only the place fixed by the Map Editors.

Settlers had regrowing trees in 3-4 (foresters planted them). It was a fun concept, but the maps were much larger, focusing on a much more lengthy build-up of economy.