Question about IDE

Well, it haven't worked :) So i'm going to have to install Visual Studio...

Is the 2010 version compatible?

I don't think there's any easy way to integrate its compiler into a different IDE, and that'd be needlessly complex anyway.

It could be complex, but i'm prety sure that i woud make things more easer for both Microsoft and Linux users, since Netbeans and Eclipse are cross-plataforms...

i'm prety sure that i woud make things more easer for both Microsoft and Linux users, since Netbeans and Eclipse are cross-plataforms...

The question is, how many of those Linux guys are actually using Netbeans and/or Eclipse? :)

I'm not sure about that, I think there were problems the last time we tried (help would be appreciated, though!()

If you just want to get it running as soon as possible, VC2008 is a safer bet.

I think VS2010 will work iff we upgrade Boost.

Eclipse CDT can integrate with GCC Makefiles which we use on Linux, so that can work, but we don't compile in GCC on Windows so you need VC++ instead. (I use Eclipse as an editor on Linux, but compile and debug on the command-line instead of in the IDE.)

i'm prety sure that i woud make things more easer for both Microsoft and Linux users, since Netbeans and Eclipse are cross-plataforms...

The question is, how many of those Linux guys are actually using Netbeans and/or Eclipse? :)

I just came out of an international open-source forum... so i can asure you that Linux developers uses a lot these IDEs - the opinion about them is diverse, some think that Netbeams is the best, others go for Eclipse. - They are both very powerfull and customizable with plugins for C++, Java and many other languages :)

I'm not sure about that, I think there were problems the last time we tried (help would be appreciated, though!()

If you just want to get it running as soon as possible, VC2008 is a safer bet.

It's! I just compiled yesterday night and VS2010 did the conversion without major problemans. Of course there were some minor ones.

(at least with Java)
There's a big difference between C++ and Java, because Java is not incredibly hard to parse :). With C++ you have #includes that can't be resolved unless you know exactly where the build system is going to tell the compiler to look for headers, conditional compilation (should you auto-complete debug-mode-only code? what if the disabled code has syntax errors?), types and variables defined by complex nested macros, templates where you can't determine data types until you've parsed all instantiations, syntax that is ambiguous unless you resolve data types, etc. And you can't use existing compilers like GCC to parse the code, since they're designed solely for compiling and don't expose the information an IDE would need. Eclipse is great with Java since the language avoids most of those problems, but quite poor at C++.

(I've been playing a bit with Clang, which is basically a new C++ compiler that's designed (among other goals) to work much better for the kind of things that IDEs need, as well as being a proper production-quality compiler (it works well enough to compile 0 A.D. now), so hopefully that could lead to interesting things in the future.)

(But now a lot of the code I write is JavaScript, which is even harder for an IDE to handle since you often can't even tell the type of a variable until you actually run the code :))