0 A.D. Portable

Hello!

I've just completed 0 A.D. Portable. Its the same as the original game, except it has been compressed and packaged in PortableApps.com Format. The source code can be found in Other\Source\0ADPortableLauncher.nsi.

You can see the main post here:

http://portableapps.com/node/24356

Enjoy!

Edited by Pyromaniac

• 1 year later...

Hello!

I've just completed 0 A.D. Portable. Its the same as the original game, except it has been compressed and packaged in PortableApps.com Format. The source code can be found in Other\Source\0ADPortableLauncher.nsi.

You can see the main post here:

http://portableapps.com/node/24356

Enjoy!

I don't understand. Portable, like on an iPhone? ;)

I don't understand. Portable, like on an iPhone? ;)

:D

from http://portableapps.com/about/what_is_a_portable_app

Portable App Definition

A portable app is a computer program that you can carry around with you on a portable device and use on any Windows computer. When your USB flash drive, portable hard drive, iPod or other portable device is plugged in, you have access to your software and personal data just as you would on your own PC. And when you unplug the device, none of your personal data is left behind.

No Special Hardware - Use any USB flash drive, portable hard drive, iPod/MP3 player, etc

No Additional Software - Just download, run the portable installer and go

No Kidding - It's that easy

i refer to beeing able to play the game without needing to install it.

i dont fully understand if portable apps need to be installed or not, but i have opened portable apps on one computer and taken the app folder to another computer and used the app

so i dont know if needn't installation

bottom line, id like to not have to install the game.

like 75% of my apps are portable which makes the computer run faster.

having to install games and apps really bloats up my computer, and especially an under-development game

Edited by ricmetal

I disagree, at least in my computers, the use of flash drives (wich we call pendrives, by the way) makes the processes slower, as the USB interface bus can't be compared to my Hard Disks' IDE/SATA2 bus. My Hard Disks upload an average of 100-400 MB/s to my memories, while the flash drives only achieve splendid 10 MB/s, so it's not faster, unless your hard disk is full and very fragmented or you use a netbook (which doesn't have HDs, but Flash Drives as Long-term storage devices).

The question is whether we value the Windows Software Logo requirements, which very explicitly forbid writing data in Program Files and demand Appdata instead:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=3859

Oh, I think some things like cache should be in AppData and maps/logs/etc. in My Documents (like this discussion) :)

Yeah, I think we agree on that (cache in appdata, everything else that's writable/generated in my documents).

I was just pointing out that the Program Files option is going against the rules and intent.

If you are thinking along the lines of making modding easy (hence everything in Program Files) - is that desire covered by the current option of checking out via SVN and having the entire game tree reside in one directory? I imagine that's what most people do who are seriously inclined to tweak and play around with things.

Those two options might suffice, without requiring any additional logic in the installer.

Why is Program Files against the rules again? I've installed plenty of programs to Program Files on my Win 7 machine.

I think that for the game to modify anything in the program files folder is against the rules. So only the installer should be touching program files. This is good for security since it means stuff won't be touching program files without admin permissions so your program can't get subtly modified by a virus. So the games cache isn't meant to go there since it will be modified after install.

Edited by quantumstate

I think that for the game to modify anything in the program files folder is against the rules. So only the installer should be touching program files. This is good for security since it means stuff won't be touching program files without admin permissions so your program can't get subtly modified by a virus. So the games cache isn't meant to go there since it will be modified after install.

Okay then, put the cache in AppData, screenshots and mods in My Documents, and the binaries in Program Files. Fix'd.

Those two options might suffice, without requiring any additional logic in the installer.

I think the point of this thread was that even people who aren't developers (and don't want to mess with SVN or wait for an extra multi-GB download), should be able to use a simple installer and have a portable install. They wouldn't have to extract the files to Program Files, it could be the Desktop or a thumb drive or whatever :) But at least the paths issue needs to be fixed, it's a higher priority IMO.

• 7 years later...
7 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

Would anyone be interested in a lite version of 0AD with only one civilization ? This way it would be very lite and ideal for small events on little USB keys.

Interesting. Perhaps 2 civs to showcase the potential variety and pose an interesting historical scenario. Spartans and Persians for instance. Use only the Spartan menu background as well. Strip out all the non-greek and non-persian music. Only 2 skirmish maps, a Greek one and a Desert one, stripping out the other biomes and maps. Good idea.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...
2 minutes ago, PwrSrg said:

I just stumbled on this game, and immediately landed here looking for the same thing.

Has this still not been done?  If not, can someone please portablize the latest A25 version?

Thanks!

Hey, as I said here

It seems portable apps have no interest whatsoever in adding the game to their portable app repos. You can however install it on some machine and copy the files elsewhere. If you pass -writableRoot it'sll be 100% portable.

• Like 1