0 A.D. Packages

Hmm, I get a runtime error on Fedora 13: "ERROR: dlopen error: /usr/lib/libAtlasUI_dbg.so: symbol _ZN7wxSound6CreateERK8wxStringb, version WXU_2.8 not defined in file libwx_gtk2u_adv-2.8.so.0 with link time reference"

That symbol is defined in that file, but I don't know anything about linker versions.

The build server builds with wxGTK-2.8.10-9.fc13; Fedora currently runs wxGTK-2.8.11-1.fc13. Looking at this and this, it sounds like a versioning problem and rebuilding with the correct version should maybe fix it. I've no idea how to try doing that, though. (In a perfect world I guess ABI compatibility would actually work and we wouldn't have to worry about this, but that doesn't help really help us in practice...)

...and now I feel justified in spending so much effort on it, since it found an actual bug (in the ancient version of glibc used by Debian) (admittedly only triggered by code that we don't actually run in the game since it's been disabled for years). Anyway, looks like everything's back to building properly on all the platforms (except Fedora 12 for a reason I have no clue about), so that's nice.

Congrats :) Fedora 12 not building is due to some hickup in OBS which enabled the debug packages 2 times. I disabled building them so it should build them only once (yes, I know this sounds stupid) so it should be fine.

Hmm, I get a runtime error on Fedora 13: "ERROR: dlopen error: /usr/lib/libAtlasUI_dbg.so: symbol _ZN7wxSound6CreateERK8wxStringb, version WXU_2.8 not defined in file libwx_gtk2u_adv-2.8.so.0 with link time reference"

That symbol is defined in that file, but I don't know anything about linker versions.

The build server builds with wxGTK-2.8.10-9.fc13; Fedora currently runs wxGTK-2.8.11-1.fc13. Looking at this and this, it sounds like a versioning problem and rebuilding with the correct version should maybe fix it. I've no idea how to try doing that, though. (In a perfect world I guess ABI compatibility would actually work and we wouldn't have to worry about this, but that doesn't help really help us in practice...)

I had a similar issue with Code::Blocks in the past which was due to wx* being build with incompatible flags (some unicode issue iirc) with the version they got used with. AFAIK Fedora 13 enables their testing repos by default so it might be some packaging bug - if it isn't they would have to rebuild all of their packages using it so perhaps a bugreport might make sense since even Fedora should respect ABI compatibility within the same release.

Besides that, is it ok with you if I remove the home:bitshuffler:0ad:Ubuntu repo and you build Ubuntu builds in some PPA?

• 2 weeks later...

Added a .desktop file now.

is it ok with you if I remove the home:bitshuffler:0ad:Ubuntu repo and you build Ubuntu builds in some PPA?
Sure. I think what I'll probably do for now is leave Ubuntu for the PlayDeb people so I don't have to worry about it myself. If that turns out to be a problem (if we need more flexibility or promptness etc) then I'll look into PPAs, but this all seems to take a load of time and effort (particularly since I'm starting with no knowledge) so I'll put that off as long as possible.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to Christopher Tozzi there's now a development snapshot PPA for Ubuntu, which should get updated weekly with the latest version from SVN, for people who want to follow the development more closely but don't want compile it themselves. No guarantees about stability or bug-freeness or anything, but hopefully it'll be usable most of the time.