Alternate Game Modes

arxarts

alternatively, they could just be semi-stylized versions of those regions' modern flags. for instance:

Poleis

Iberians

Britons

or they could just bear symbols associated with a specific tribe, even if its a quote unquote "sub tribe" within another tribe. by that i mean a tribe that could, say, fall under the blanket category of Gaulish even though they were a distinct people in their own right (i dont know enough about gaul to give any examples, though). ill also just specifically state what i meant by "variants" earlier: basically, programming would make it so that some different skins and equipment are presented for the same unit. this was present to an extent in AOM, and units could be modded so that sometimes they would have a different outfit than their companions (in the same way that a villager type unit would be either male or female even though they are both the exact same unit). a good example is a mod that i once had on AOM that made it so that greek hoplites had variants to their shields: sometimes they would have a snake design, sometimes a bull, sometimes a creepyass face, and sometimes a classical spartan lambda. im not sure if this is going to implemented for 0ad, but if it isnt it should; it adds to realism by not just making the soldiers carbon copies of one another, it makes them have individuality.

how this applies to a standard bearer would be that each bearer would randomly have a flag associated with whichever civilization he's associated with (again giving a greek example, and just off the top of my head and not at all accurate): he could possibly have a spartan lambda, an aegis face, a lightning bolt, a helmet in profile, an omega symbol, or any number of other symbols associated wit the greeks

Not true, btw... Wikipedia is not commercial either and they make extra-super-sure they are not infringing on anyone's copyright. When it uses copyrighted material (like a screenshot from proprietary software) it has to be very small and follow all sorts of fair use guidelines, and it is very blatantly advertised so that other people don't think it is free content like most stuff on Wikipedia is.

0 A.D. is very similar in that respect. We use code & art that was explicitly released to anyone who wants to use it, or develop our own and release it to the public, especially, say, in the game's sound & music which is all done from scratch.

Macedon- Vergina Star

City states- Wreath of laurels

Britons- Geometric pattern using metal-embossed circles

Gauls- Double bladed axe, maybe

Persians- Faravahar

Carthage- Tanit symbol, crescent, or any other lunar thing

Iberians- Falcata sword?

Simplicity and accuracy. Success. [Raises arms in Christ-like manner]

530px-Faravahar-Gold.svg.png

Edited by Sophokles

• 2 years later...

A hero mode where you only have hero units with gametypes originally from shooters:

• death match,
  • team deathmatch,
  • capture the flag,
  • team capture the flag
  • last man standing,
  • team last man standing
  • and other things.

Because the heroes have lots of hitpoints, this could be very interesting.

Have artifacts spread over the map to have healing and other things.

A hero mode where you only have hero units with gametypes originally from shooters:

• death match,
  • team deathmatch,
  • capture the flag,
  • team capture the flag
  • last man standing,
  • team last man standing
  • and other things.

To do this properly it would need to be more of a mod than a game mode. The heroes would need special abilities to make things fun.

My opinion on gamemodes:

I think that a few (important/popular/classic) gamemodes should be in the game. Leave the others for modding.

When a particular gamemode from a mod is very succesful, add it in the main game.

I'm happy with the regular game mode. I don't need another really. But I can understand others want it.

• death match,
  • team deathmatch,
  • capture the flag,
  • team capture the flag
  • last man standing,
  • team last man standing
  • and other things.

Go play League of Legends?

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to play the regicide mode trying to kill the chief of the oponent. He could have different names depending of the faction: Caesar (for romans), Epistates (for greeks) …

Talking about capturing the flag, what do you think about capturing some sacred object like a statue or a weapon (depending of the faction)? It would be like the relics of AOK

i seem to remember hearing that a "Herocide" game mode is or was planned

You are right. There's a whole topic dedicated to different modes and the herocide mode is debated there.

http://www.wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=15505&hl=herocide&st=0

Although, I think my second mode is a little bit different from the ones described in the topic.

• 1 month later...
I could see a game mode called "Alexander's Sarcophagus." Basically, a very very slow moving cart in the middle of the map where players try to capture it for X amount of time. It's similar to that Age of Mythology single player campaign scenario where you try to capture the "Piece of Osiris."
so a tug-of-war/capture-the-flag/hot-potato game mode? sounds fun :) frustrating, but fun ;)
  • Like 1