SVN checkout problem

PhantomMatthew

I'm a Chinese developer. I likes Ages Of Empires very much and am happy to get the Great game 0AD from internet. But when tried to use SVN to checkout source code from my Macbook pro, I saw below error:

A trunk/build

A trunk/build/dehydra

A trunk/build/dehydra/tests

A trunk/build/dehydra/tests/printf-type-check.txt

A trunk/build/dehydra/tests/printf-type-check.cpp

A trunk/build/dehydra/printf-type-check.js

A trunk/build/dehydra/README.txt

A trunk/build/workspaces

svn: GET of '/public/!svn/ver/6793/ps/trunk/build/workspaces/update-workspaces.bat': Could not read status line: connection was closed by server (http://svn.wildfiregames.com)

But I can use Firefox to access source code in website. I have no idea about that, would you please give me some help about that?

Hmm, I'm not sure what would cause that. SVN checkouts seem to work fine for me. Does it always fail on update-workspaces.bat? Can you access that file in a web browser?

Maybe it's possible there's some kind of proxy server that dislikes certain files. You could try doing an SVN checkout from https://svn.wildfiregames.com/public/ps/trunk/ (ignore any warnings about invalid certificates) which may work better.

• 1 month later...

It shouldn't actually have an open connection for a long time - the server's configured to require a single HTTP request per file, because the default bulk-update behaviour uses ~200MB RAM per checkout and the server dies if several people use it at once :P. It's also configured to reject requests (with a 503 response) if there's too many at once (to save Apache from using all the RAM) but I believe that shouldn't happen unless the traffic is much more extreme than it currently is. So I don't have any idea what causes it to abort early for some people, which is quite annoying. (If anybody happens to debug it by catching the failure in a packet monitor or something, or if anybody knows the secrets of running an SVN server more reliably, please let me know ;))