Browsergame

GamerPro

Yeah you can use them, But I think It will be a problem for you because wildfiregames themselves are considering the idea to build a browser game alongside the main one.

You can use the graphics but it will be like 2 browser based games having the same graphics.

So, I suggest you to rethink about using 0AD graphics.

If you want graphics for your browser game you will be able to get a graphic designer for cheap from here

www.conceptart.org/forums

Edited by pavansss91

Eh? Where have we said we consider creating a browser based game? It's not something we've considered to my knowledge, and I should at least know about it if it's been discussed the last couple of years since I'm the project leader (y) (We have discussed using Webkit, which is used in browsers, as the basis for the GUI, but that's something totally different.)

Me and philip have been discussing about it just today. It's not an old discussion.

Philip says that it's an interesting. It is potentially good idea to build a browser game which can provide exposure to the main one.

Ubisoft did the same with "heroes of might and magic"

So why don't we build one for 0AD ?

Please Let us discuss about it here

wildfiregames themselves are considering the idea to build a browser game alongside the main one.
That's not true - you suggested the possibility of making one earlier today, and I think it's be something that WFG people might be interested in discussing if there's a detailed design or prototype of a game derived from parts of 0 A.D., but currently there's nothing official or definite at all.

We released the game as open source partly because we want other people to benefit from reusing the content for whatever purposes they want - the world is a big place and it's fine for the content to be used in several different games. So I'm happy for anybody to make as much use of it as they want (y)

I don't know who are the actual WFG. I thought it was you so I wrote it.

I will be providing a detailed design and prototype of the game so that WFG community can discuss whether to build one or not.

And yes, I am still saying that he can use the graphics but only asking him to rethink about it.

-pavan

Philip is one of the team members, and sure creating a browser game could potentially be interesting, but at least within the closest future I think the main 0 A.D. game will be our main priority. And even in the case there will be an official browser game I don't think it's a bad idea for someone else to do it as well, to use the graphics he'll have to provide a link back to us so we'd still be getting the news out about 0 A.D.

creating a browser game could potentially be interesting, but at least within the closest future I think the main 0 A.D. game will be our main priority.

I have reading the codebase of 0AD since 2 days and I am able to understand it but I am unable to contribute to it because of such large code. And as I am good web programmer, I was thinking to develop a Browser game for 0AD using it's graphics in 3 month vacation starting this may. This way I will be contributing to WFG and 0AD.

And even in the case there will be an official browser game I don't think it's a bad idea for someone else to do it as well, to use the graphics he'll have to provide a link back to us so we'd still be getting the news out about 0 A.D.

Well, what do you do if he gives a small link in a big paragraph on his "Copyrights description" page. You can't be sure that his game will give the same exposure as ours.

0AD has the best graphics I have seen until now which can be used in a browser based game and It will be a huge success if we do so.

If u think that I am allowed to develop a Browser game for WFG during my vaacation I will start writing a detailed proposal about this.

You are allowed to write a proposal :P Seriously though, if you want us to give you some kind of official status you'll have to show us that you are ready to put in the time and effort to get this finished + show us an interesting enough idea (y) We can't, nor want to, stop you or anyone else from using the art or any other resources we provide as long as you or anyone else do what the license allows you to do, but it takes a bit more than a good idea to be a part of the Wildfire Games team. Please tell us more about your proposal though.

Personally, there is great potential in a 0 AD webgame for a few reasons (according to me):

- the art is of professional quality...

- Wildfiregames' policy that 0 AD remains freeware without a catch: no GOLD status like in travian or all other webgames where you can buy extras and resource bonuses with real money. I hate it personally.

The easiest webgame would just be a rip-off of travian, having 6 civilizations instead of their romans, gauls and germans, but there are already a dozen of that kind.

More original and in my eyes very interesting would be a real map of the Mediterranean region divided into thousands of small provinces/zones. When the server starts all are empty of course. Newly registered players pick a civ and are placed on the map closest to the civ's capital or according to the historical expansions of a certain civilization (Each civ receives a capital that is NPC, f.e. Rome, Persepolis, Carthage,...). Every player builds in his own parcel. The goal would be suppremacy of your civ, conquering neighbouring zones, ... There was a game like this on the web, but I forgot the title.