Building Queue | Voices?

emuletas

and for sure, using voices on the units is very very game-imersing. remenber Age of empires II that have lines on the languages of the civilizations:

TYR BARDAGUI!

That was a viking war cry, wasn't it?

I am already thinking what it would sound like for the Hellenes:

"Kyrie mou?" ("My lord?")

"Diaphterô ekeinous!" ("I will crush them!")

Pretty cool ... (y)

yeah, Tyr Bardagui was wiking soldiers lines, they evoke Tyr, the god of courage of the asgardian pantheon and Bardagui, as fas as i know is battle or somehing.

This feature of language is realy imersive.

One of the succes features of blizzard games and age of empires series was: attention to details, because pleyers don't pay attention, but fans do!

You are German right SMST? well, i'm Brazilian and i'm learning German =) want to exchange knowledge?

One of the succes features of blizzard games and age of empires series was: attention to details, because pleyers don't pay attention, but fans do!

Yes, detailled work is also very important to me. That is why i play mostly older games, and Age of Empires II is my overall favourite.

That love for details, to be seen in unit concepts, screenshots, textures and the pure mass of historical background information was one of the reasons why i first got intrested in 0 A.D. so much.

Anyway, a native voice system would be a great feature. I would even write comments for the Hellenic and Roman civs since i had 7 years of Latin at school and am still learning Ancient greek.

You are German right SMST? well, i'm Brazilian and i'm learning German =) want to exchange knowledge?

Sicher.(y)

Hi, I'm not sure what a building queue is but I know you can queue unit production, technologies etc. You can also queue tasks for a unit. That is all documented here and here. (Part of the documentation is deprecated and the session GUI is being redesigned right now).

Units will respond in their native languages, or as close an approximation as we can get. I wanted to give you a link to the relevant documentation (it has the battle cries and everything) but it is visible only to team members. This is unfortunately left over from before 0 A.D. became open source and I hope this is fixed quickly.

Edited by Jeru

Hi, I'm not sure what a building queue is
I assumed it's when you select a unit, select the "build house" button, then shift-click several times to place several houses, and the unit queues them up and builds them all in that order. If it's not that then I have no idea what it is, so it'd be good if someone could explain (y). If it is that, then I think it's just a special case of a generic task queue (e.g. shift-click to walk to several points, or to repair several buildings, or some sequence of multiple actions), which isn't implemented yet but should be eventually.
I know you can queue unit production, technologies etc.
(You can't at the moment since that's not implemented in the new simulation system, but it should be added very soon.)

a queue for technologies, is a pretty damm good add

and it reaises a new question and i don't know if this os for this topic:

will diferent units have different population costs?

Because one of the problens in age of empires is: yu can have 200 skirmisher, and you can have 200 elite war elephants =/

In my humble opinion, if microsoft carryed about launching a patch for population cost fix, Age of Empires 3 would only happened as a graphic engine optimizer for the series.

Those who play starcraft know and understand what i'm saying

will diferent units have different population costs?

Because one of the problens in age of empires is: yu can have 200 skirmisher, and you can have 200 elite war elephants =/

In my humble opinion, if microsoft carryed about launching a patch for population cost fix, Age of Empires 3 would only happened as a graphic engine optimizer for the series.

Somebody of the design team said that there will be different unit pop costs. I am not sure if i rebember correctly, but Infantry and Support will cost 1 pop, Cavalry 2 pop, Chariots, Siege Units and Elephants 3 pop.

yeah, that was one hard stuff to keep the eyes on, because every RTS gamer knows: in one part of the game, resources (specialy in games where food is renewed by farms) are not a problem, population is.

Another Question: will exist a population upkeep? (Warcraft III would be a good example)

I'm guessing what you mean by upkeep is having to pay continually in resources (rather than once when you create the unit), and in that case the answer is no. While that might disappoint some it's really a question of what kind of game this is. In this issue 0 A.D. will be a fairly old-school RTS, and to me it's a good thing as it makes sure any new resources can be used to expand rather than keep you from losing your units due to not getting more resources. I'm guessing it shouldn't be too hard to create a mod that has that effect though if you really want it.

I'm guessing what you mean by upkeep is having to pay continually in resources (rather than once when you create the unit), and in that case the answer is no. While that might disappoint some it's really a question of what kind of game this is. In this issue 0 A.D. will be a fairly old-school RTS, and to me it's a good thing as it makes sure any new resources can be used to expand rather than keep you from losing your units due to not getting more resources. I'm guessing it shouldn't be too hard to create a mod that has that effect though if you really want it.

cool, upkeep sux a lot, but in my starting i have a lot of questions (a lot could sound dumb for you, and for that i apologyze) but i promess, for the tey that are about to come i will study more and ask less =D

Edited by Garick

• 4 weeks later...

Lol, dudes, try to kill a women citien. She sound as a man. XD

Noticed that, too.*grin*

Btw there are some unit comments in the files of the pre-alpha. (Greek ones) How can one include them?

The pronunciation is today's Greek btw.;) But it is probably nearer to ancient Greek than the one i learn at school.

If you look for files like binaries/data/mods/public/simulation/templates/template_unit_support_female_citizen.xml, there's a <Sound> section which associates sound group files (in binaries/data/mods/public/audio/) with various actions for each unit type. Currently there's only very basic audio integration so you can't easily e.g. make a unit say something when you order it around - you'd have to edit the gameplay scripts for that (binaries/data/mods/public/simulation/components/, call a function like 'PlaySound("death", this.entity);' to play the <death> sound).

The pronunciation is today's Greek btw.;) But it is probably nearer to ancient Greek than the one i learn at school.

From what my Classics professor told me, even academic linguists disagree how precisely ancient Greek was pronounced, so getting it entirely right may be rather difficult! I don't think it should sound exactly like modern Greek, though, that wouldn't make sense.

From what my Classics professor told me, even academic linguists disagree how precisely ancient Greek was pronounced, so getting it entirely right may be rather difficult! I don't think it should sound exactly like modern Greek, though, that wouldn't make sense.

Yes, we have three greek teachers at our school and there is some bickering even amongst them how to pronouncitation.;) But we all learn the "official", very German pronounciation whatsoever.

Of course, no one can tell how it was pronouciated exactly.^^

What should be changed in pronouncitation in the game is the "η" (Eta). It was a long "e" in Ancient Greek, not "i", as it is today.

Just to mention it.

Edited by SMST