How can I help

GustavoUlate80

Blender is a free 3d graphics software with its own community guides and such. You're much more likely to find help there than here.

If you like programming, I guess similar communities can help you learn C++ and JavaScript. Google around, or buy books on Amazon, or sign up for a class where you live, etc. :)

Blender is very different than Sketchup. Blender is much more powerful, but more complicated. With Sketchup you can get to modeling nearly right away. With Blender, it will take some time to learn how it works before you can make anything.

In order for a model to be used in the game engine, it must first be converted to triangles. In Blender everything is already in triangle form or quads, but quads are easily converted to triangles. I've found that Sketchup (the free version) is not very good for game models because it often results in a bad topology (messy geometry) when everything is forcibly converted to triangles.

While Sketchup is very good for making non-game architecture models, an inexperienced person would get into bad habits when attempting to use Sketchup for game models. (I know this from personal experience.)

An experienced person could probably use either program for game models.

Blender is a great program, I recommend you try it. You really must find some good tutorials about how to use the interface and how to get started; I don't recommend trying to figure it out on your own as you will quickly get discouraged. If you find Blender too difficult, you can always try other free 3D programs and try Blender again later. I originally tried Blender (2.42 I think), gave up, then tried again a year later. At that point, I finally understood it, but it took some determination and working through some good tutorials before I could really make anything substantial.

Edited by WhiteTreePaladin

With Sketchup (or any 3D program) you can get practice visualizing things in 3D, and learning the basic 3D manipulations (moving, rotating scaling, etc). That will prove helpful in Blender. However, there will still be a lot left to learn when you start Blender. If you do want to try Blender, get the latest stable version - 2.49b. Do NOT get the alpha version (2.5); it is not ready to use yet and because it is so new, none of the tutorials will match it.

Don't try to make anything serious at first, just follow the tutorials that show how the interface works. For example, things like using the number pad to change the view, panning around to get different views, and switching in and out of object mode and edit mode are goods things to begin practicing. Blender takes a little getting used to at first, but once you understand it (this can take some time), you can model things quite fast.

Here is a link to the lastest stable version of Blender: Blender

Here is a link to the site that I used to learn Blender: Blender 3D: Noob to Pro

- you'll need to scroll down the page to get to the tutorial links; start with "Unit 1."

[edit]

If you like video tutorials, there are some really good ones on the Blender Underground site. I've watched them before, though I already knew how to use Blender before I watched them. Here's link to the video tutorial section: http://blenderunderground.com/video-tutorials/

Edited by WhiteTreePaladin

We mainly need experienced C++ programmers. JavaScript scripters are also needed. We can always use some more artists, sound designers, etc, but some previous experience / skill would be needed.

The game is open source and some of the basic art has been released with it, so you don't need to join the team to get access to it. However, it is not as easy as simply downloading and installing it. It would take some SVN experience to get a copy. We are working on an Alpha version that should be easier to use than the current version. It should come out later this year.

In the mean time, I'd recommend learning Blender. Maybe by the time the Alpha comes out you'll be able to make some characters, props, buildings, etc. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I know something 0 ad needs most are methods of zoom , I mean in AOE3 you only have the isometric zoom mode . in 0 ad you should do the zoom methods used for empire earth 1 which the first zoom mode is more 3d(normal), the second is another method (epic) and the third is isometric . for this idea to work you guys have to make a special hotkey like f4 or something

I appreciate the good intentions, but an installer is still probably not a good idea (see http://www.wildfiregames.com/forum/index.p...howtopic=12533).

There will be a pre-alpha release quite soon, and fairly regular releases after that. In the meantime we'd be happy to see programmers giving the code a spin, but making things accessible to gamers via installer will probably only lead to frustration on both sides (witness the above thread).

• 2 weeks later...

I made another installer which is more advanced. The download site is here

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SQGJ0X9C

(In case you dont know how to download from megaupload :enter the captcha in the "captcha box " at the notheastern part of the website then wait the download time and download)

Instructions are included at the installer : update after the installation finishes and compile using the build instructions included in the installer you should read everything in the installer

This installer was also autochecked and also note that it doesn't include any virus or spyware , troyan horse , etc

If you want to uninstall go to add/remove programs and there you find the corresponding box

I made another installer which is more advanced. The download site is here

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SQGJ0X9C

(In case you dont know how to download from megaupload :enter the captcha in the "captcha box " at the notheastern part of the website then wait the download time and download)

Instructions are included at the installer : update after the installation finishes and compile using the build instructions included in the installer you should read everything in the installer

This installer was also autochecked and also note that it doesn't include any virus or spyware , troyan horse , etc

If you want to uninstall go to add/remove programs and there you find the corresponding box

please don't respond to this unless you have tried the installer