Models

Hey,

I wanted to prove my worth to you guys by modelling something. Problem is, I don't want to redundantly make a model that's already been made. So my question is this:

Is there anywhere I can see a list of incomplete/unstarted models? In particular I would like to work on building design since I'm not confident enough in my skills at making low-poly organic characters. Ships, carts, siege engines, and stuff like that I can easily do though :) Even simple embellishment units, like ruins or bee hives or whatever..

I do have experience in 3ds Max modelling, UVW mapping, and burning AO to a texture, so these things shouldn't be a problem :) In fact I usually work from high-poly and then go down to low poly which usually results in more detailed AO textures

Toss me some suggestions and I will get to work! The best result is you guys will get some nifty models and speed up game design, and the worst result is that I get a nice low-poly model to use in future renders, so it's a win-win? :)

edit: Also, I tried importing a mesh into Atlas and was successful on everything but one small problem. When I try to rotate the model I made, Atlas freezes. Maybe this is a common problem?

edit2: fixed that glitch.. Had something to do with how I set up the entity file I believe

edit3: A very unartistic screenie for you guys of some experimenting I did with Persian architecture... I'm not done with the cathedral/mosque (need to re-UVW it cuz the seams are too obvious and then texture it.. the texture on it right now is just an AO render I did with mesh smooth+edit mesh modifiers) and I still want to tweak the arch and make complimenting ruins.. Also the scales aren't perfect yet heh http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r249/Sc.../untitled-2.jpg

Edited by ScionOfWar

AI programming and artistic talent! I am most impressed :)

You were actually able to get some art into the game - even more impressive. There are artists on the WFG staff that haven't even done that yet. Nice work! If you have questions exporting or delving into animation, let me know. I'll try to help.

I'm sure the art dept lead will find you something good to work on. In the short term, there is a list of eyecandy that you might find fun and entertaining to work on. It is found here: http://www.wildfiregames.com/forum/index.p...findpost&p=2166

Hi Scion! Welcome to WFG! If you're interested in contributing to 0 A.D. as a member, you're welcome to fill out an application form. If you just want to contribute a few models, catch me on MSN and we can find a task for you. :)

MSN: [[Edited out to prevent spam mail]]

Edit: Excuse my ignorance, I wasn't aware that you had already filled out an application form. Feel free to contact me. :)

Edited by Kimball

Thanks guys :) I was looking at that eyecandy thread and the stonehenge someone asked for was particularly inspiring.. I also gave a go at fixing the UVW maps on my mosque thing and texturing it and the results were decent (though the texture looks more celtish then turkish so it definitely has room for improvement)

Basically I've made four models in this screenshot - mosque (like I said textures look kinda earthy until I fix it), greek arch, stonehenge arch, and a broken stonehenge pillar

I made a fancy screenshot complete with bushes and textured roads! Check it out :)

untitled-5.jpg

Edited by ScionOfWar

I have some crosses to show you guys :) One with the INRI inscription (IESVS NAZARENVS REX IVDÆORVM or in English "Jesus the Nazarene, King of the Jews") and one without. I was thinking about texturing some holes where the spikes went, and blood onto it as well. As you might guess these are extremely low poly since they're such simple geometry. Edit: Bob/Kimball suggested I make the beams thinner so I will fix them up and post a new screeny later

I figure it doesn't get much closer to 0 A.D. then the death of Jesus! Considering it was his life and death which distinguishes A.D. from B.C. haha

untitled-6.jpg

Edited by ScionOfWar

I was working on a persian pillar (based off this and other references - http://lh4.ggpht.com/_kpSrBksrlDc/Ry5zhcnU...Q/DSC03795.JPG). Still need to texture it quite a bit but the modeling is done. Also fixed the crosses:

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r249/Sc...pg?t=1266664049

Edited by ScionOfWar

Hi scion! I am disappointed that it took so long for a fan to actually start modding the game! I expected people to start digging into it much sooner than this. What I am not disappointed with is your skills and gusto! Some fun stuff you've done so far.

For the Persian column I would take a look at the Persian buildings texture. It has some good textures in it that would work wonders.

For the crucifixes and road signs I would use a lighter wood color. Textures should be only slightly more saturated than real life (although we havent always followed that rule, it is a good rule of thumb). Currently they looked like they were stained with a nice Minwax™ finish. :)

I also think those Stonehenge-style glyphs could use a higher resolution texture, but they are cool nonetheless.

EDIT: I don't think anyone will mind if I post the Persian structures texture. The top half was slapped together by Wijitmaker, while I slapped together the bottom half. It'd be neat if others would follow your lead and make some of their own Persian buildings! :)

pers_struct.zip

Edited by Mythos_Ruler

I agree on all those fronts and was actually thinking that myself concerning the over-saturated wood.. It shouldn't be too hard at all to change though :)

That persian texture is fantastic and I'll definitely get some use out of it for the texturing of the pillar :) Right now I'm trying to use the texture to bring out some non-modelled details in the statue (such as the ears and legs of the bull) and once I get a good foundation I'll try mixing in the persian textures you offered

I'm personally surprised there aren't more people jumping at the oppourtunity to help the game out. I don't think this reflects poorly on the game - just poorly on peoples abilities to download and compile source code. I think as the game gets more and more playable, more people will jump on board and supply stuff.

I recently talked to my older brother and I'm trying to get him to join in and help too.. He's been playing with game engines for a few years now, and in fact we were once discussing working on a game design together (since I'm better at modeling and decent at coding, while he's better at coding and decent at modeling lol).. With any luck we'll hear from him soon.

I'll try to keep my momentum in the meantime and pump a model out every day or so. First step: finish that persian pillar! I'm also going to make a variation of the pillar which holds the beam on its shoulders, similar to the reference I showed you, so that you could make some structures with it. Unfortunately I barely touched 500 polygons on that so it's not the lowest poly pillar in the game :) And that was after two hours of trying to reduce poly counts without loosing detail. I may try to make an even lower poly version just to see if it's possible without wrecking the shape, but I can't imagine taking out more then ten polygons from the bull portion..

Edited by ScionOfWar