ModDB Indie Game of the Year Award

Kimball

igoty_2009_250px.png

The 2009 Mod of the Year Awards are upon us! This year, ModDB has granted us a new award category: the Indie Game of the Year! In previous years, many full-game titles were recognized, but not quite to the extent that they will be next month.

We humbly ask for support from the loyal fans that have stuck with us through thick and thin for 8+ years now. Here's how you can help:

1. Register for an account with ModDB. Not only does this benefit us, but grants you access to one of the most active indie development communities on the internets.

Remember: Your vote doesn't count unless you have an account!

2. Visit the 0 A.D. Profile and scroll down to the giant "VOTE FOR GAME" button. If you have a heart, you'll know what to do. :P

This is Stage 1/3 of the awards process. You'll have to vote twice if you actually care about us. Stages are as follows:

STAGE 1: Nominations

From December 20th to January 5th every indie game and mod on the site has a voting booth activated in their profile. It is now up to you, to find your favorites, play them and vote for them - so we can narrow thousands of contenders down to the players choice top 100...

STAGE 2: Top 100

On January 6th the Top 100 mods and indie games you voted for in phase 1 will be announced and a second round of voting will commence until February 21st. Again, it is up to you, to vote for your top 3 in this list - so we can narrow the top 100 down to a handful of winners...

STAGE 3: Winner's Showcase

Early February after thousands of votes have been tallied, we shall be announcing the 2009 Players and Editors Choice winners. These indie games and mods will be showcased in an exclusive video presentation and editorial writeup. Download links will be given so you can play the years best.

igoty_468x60.png

But, why?

If we win, not only do we receive a ton of attention and some cool prizes, but the projects that win these awards have proven to receive an increase in contributor applications. That means more developers working to finish the game you can't wait for, which means you get to play the game sooner! So for the hyper-selfish among you, this is for you.

We made it to the Top 100 (in the top 8 of our category) last year, let's shoot for the top 3 in 2009!

Thanks for voting, and Merry Christmas on behalf of WFG. We thank you for your continued support.

:)

Edited by Kimball

Well i'd voted for all my favourite mods and games (including 0 A.D. of course) as a guest. What is the purpose of the guest vote (voting while not logged in) then, since you say it does not count? I have now created an account though but the vote system obviously logs your ip since it doesn't allow me to vote again while logged into my account. This to me sounds like votes do count without an account, however i think the amount of guest votes are limited every couple of minutes or so. Correct me if i'm wrong though.

Technicalities aside, i'm really hoping 0 A.D. does well, as it would bring a lot more attention to this awesome game, and i'd imagine it would provide a significant morale boost to the devs and this community (plus the prizes of course :) )

• 2 weeks later...

Voted! :)

I think it would generate more votes ( and interest) if you'd release another (small?) preview or news update on moddb.com

Perhaps a unit special for the Hellenic civ. More people will try out the latest build and perhaps contribute to its progress...

If any of you find this a good idea ofcourse AND have some spare time :P

• 2 weeks later...

Mark your calendars, if my calculations are correct, we should expect announcements at these dates and times:

• Editor's Choice for Best Original Art Direction will be announced at 4pm GMT tomorrow, Jan 27.
  • Editor's Choice for Best Upcoming Indie Game will be announced Thursday, Jan 28 at the same time.
  • The top 5 indie games of the year (combination of released/unreleased), as picked by voters will be announced on Friday, Feb 5, at the same time.

Edited by Jeru