Internationalization

frapell

Hello everybody, i was wondering, how are you managing translations ? i'm fluent in both English and Spanish, and i would really want to help to the project at least with a Spanish translation.

I tried looking for .pot or .po files under the i18n folder but i got no luck, any advice would be appreciated

BTW, is there a "Spanish i18n group" or something were translators meet? or something ?

Thanks,

Franco

Well, due to the fact that we haven't written all texts in English yet we don't think that getting anything translated at this point is a good idea. We'll make it clear when the English texts are finished enough though (probably not until the game is more or less ready to be released as there might be changes to the very end, at least during the earliest phases of gameplay testing when we see what/if any major things will need to be changed).

I tried looking for .pot or .po files under the i18n folder but i got no luck, any advice would be appreciated
The engine currently has a non-standard custom translation system, which is not really finished or usable, and I think the design is unnecessarily complex and weird. (I wrote it myself but I've changed my mind since then :P). We should probably replace it with something based on gettext so that it works with standard tools. But that's not a high priority at the moment - as Erik says, we don't even have much English text finalised yet, so it'll be a while before it's important to focus on fixing the i18n system, and we can't do any useful translation work before that.

(But since it's open source I'd be happy if anyone with relevant programming experience wanted to sort out i18n sooner (and I'd be happy to discuss the design requirements) :))

probably not until the game is more or less ready to be released as there might be changes to the very end, at least during the earliest phases of gameplay testing when we see what/if any major things will need to be changed
I believe we could (and probably should) start doing translations long before being ready for release - the tools keep track of new/deleted strings, so we can do some early translations and then do a much quicker second pass when we're nearer release to fill in the gaps. But I agree it's too early now.

not sure if there's such thing as commercial translating tools, but the free ones are pretty crappy. They often make blooper (My friend translated "liar liar pants on fire" to french and back and it gave him "Speaker of untruth, your trousers are inflamed")

Amusing, no doubt, but not an effect we desire.

I agree automatic translation isn't much good - I was just thinking of tools in the sense of programs that help humans write translations (showing the English string, giving them a space to type in the translation, presumably including some comments about the context and whatever). I've never looked into this area enough to know what tools actually exist and are good, though - does anyone have recommendations?

• 5 weeks later...