Announcement - Legends Of The Old World

DimitriRUS

Experience the Medieval cultures of Europe And Asia, a new mod for 0 AD.

Description

The Legends Of Europe is a total conversion for 0 AD, you will be able to control armies of some the most powerful empires from the 9th century to the 16th. The gameplay will be vastly different than that of the regular game. Instead of the ages of 0 AD, almost each civilization has two eras their civilization existed (Such as Hungary from 997-1245 and from 1245-1526 AD.), to achieve the next era must do a succeed to do a number of certain tasks. The expansion will come with a full campaign and skirmish maps that are based on regions the civilizations existed.

Features

- Carefully researched civilizations to help the game be as realistic as it can.

- Large Campaign allows the player to experience a wide range of historical battles of the time.

- Highly differentiated civilizations such as the nomadic Vikings.

- Siege engines, cannons, and battlements also included.

Civilizations

Most of the prominent empires of the Medieval ages will be included, although if you want another to be added, please suggest it and I will consider it's addition.

- Bulgaria

- Byzantine Empire

- China

- Egypt

- England

- France

- Holy Roman Empire

- Hungary

- India

- Japan

- Mongolia

- Ottoman Empire

- Persia

- Poland

- Russia

- Serbia

- Spain

- Switzerland

- The Vikings

Help Out

Any help with the mod is greatly appreciated, especially with research on the time period and coding. If you are able to create art assets for the game and would like to lend any assistance, please leave a reply here or send a message and you will be considered.

Edited by DimitriRUS

Welcome to the forums DimitriRUS! I think it is great that you're interested in 0 A.D. and looking to create a historically accurate mod. One question I do have is how do you plan to balance nearly 20 different factions? Will they just be different cosmetically or will each faction have its own unit stats & technology tree?

of course, every civilization will be different in some way, whether it be the way they play (Like the nomadic civilzations.) or what unit they are having in their armies. Being different cosmetically is also important too, but one of the goals I set is to make sure there is a reason to play every civilization.

Edited by DimitriRUS

Interesting,

A couple of things though:

1) 20 civilizations seems like a lot for this sort of game and would be extremely difficult to design, create and balance.

2) You have Scandinavia and the Vikings. Could you explain this?

3) Which Egypt are you talking about here? Fatimids, Ayyubids, Mamluks?

4) Bulgaria and Serbia seem like they would be very hard to design (not that that is necessarily a bad thing, its just that they are fairly obscure)

5) The Vikings weren't really nomadic.

6) A glaring omission to me is the Holy Roman Empire, one of the most important states of the Middle Ages. Any reason why it was not included?

Anyways, thats my imput. Good luck!

1) Age Of Kings are having 18 civilizations in the game, with the amount of people on the mod right now it should not be a challenge when communication is local and not over an internet.

2) Scandinavia refers to the peoples of the region, the Vikings are a similar but separate civilization that are the pirates which settled in other parts of the continent. We are thinking of replacing it Scandinavia with something else.

3) The game takes place in multiple eras and as Egypt you will start out in the Fatimid period and continue into the Mamluk period, we are looking for a way to put Ayyubids in someway.

4) One of the goals of this game was to bring the player to some of the lesser known civilizations of the east but at the same time allow the player to experience the major empires such as the English.

5) The viking peoples were pirates who sailed the North Atlantic to conquer neighboring cities, rarely stopping at one place for long.

6) Many important empires were not added because we set a limit of civilizations to 20 and because we were wanting to put in less known civilizations, we might add it as a replacement if we are not liking one of the civilizations now.

The Vikings were the people who lived in Scandinavia though. They weren't a separate civilization then that of Scandinavia, they were the civilization of Scandinavia.

Also, they werent nomadic. Sure they would leave their homes for a while and go raiding, maybe even settle down in some recently conquered land (the Rus come to mind) but that doesn't make them nomads. By the time period you are discussing they were sedentary.

There are four of us on the current team, we are still on the search for more members for our game. For vikings, I have discussed the matter with the team and we believe they deserve their own separate civilization, they were an important part of the time on their own!

There are four of us on the current team, we are still on the search for more members for our game. For vikings, I have discussed the matter with the team and we believe they deserve their own separate civilization, they were an important part of the time on their own!

3) The game takes place in multiple eras and as Egypt you will start out in the Fatimid period and continue into the Mamluk period, we are looking for a way to put Ayyubids in someway.

1.I think you should merge the Scandinavian/Viking faction becouse they are the same people (Same language,Religion,customs, weapons, etc),

You said the game will take place in differnet eras, so the scandinavian civ can start in the viking age and then advance to other eras

example

1: Dark Age/Viking Age (Vikings and fast longboats, pagans)

2: Early Medieval Age (They have converted to christianity and have new units)

3. High Medival Age (Gun powder, Heavy Cavalry)

etc

2. Another faction I think you can add is Scotland (They have an intresting history, great leaders and different units)

Edited by Víkingr

Very well...this mod seems interesting and is actually alive. Are there requirements for joining the team?

There are no true requirements, we just expect modders to be contributing a good amount of help for the mod.

1.I think you should merge the Scandinavian/Viking faction becouse they are the same people (Same language,Religion,customs, weapons, etc),

You said the game will take place in differnet eras, so the scandinavian civ can start in the viking age and then advance to other eras

example

1: Dark Age/Viking Age (Vikings and fast longboats, pagans)

2: Early Medieval Age (They have converted to christianity and have new units)

3. High Medival Age (Gun powder, Heavy Cavalry)

We are actively discussing the possibility of doing so, and we are thinking of who replaces the Vikings if we have been deleting it.

Okay, we have thought the idea over and we will be replacing Scandinavia with the Holy Roman Empire, I'm glad we were getting criticism on this, it helps us make a better game.

EDIT: We are also nearing completion with research and outline of the first civilization, details to be up soon!

Edited by DimitriRUS

I'd be happy to help with research if you need it...

India at this period of time was a patchwork of dozens of states, so they may need to be renamed...

Also, the Ottomans were only around for the second era of your mod (1299-1923). I don't know if this is a problem for what you have planned, but I just thought I'd point it out...

Edited by blablahead

For Honour and Glory seems dead...there hasn't been any update/post there for half a year :)

And anything prevents you from posting there?

There wasn't lot of updates due to lack of interest of community and it also started too soon.

You are free to join whenever you wish.

But if you prefer to reinvent wheel by redoing research, you are free to do so, of course. But why?

Edited by Belisarivs

Hm.

Why didn't you join mod "For Honour and Glory"?

It has same goal and has already done lot of research.

Sorry we are not going to be merging projects, both are very different games. We are having Asian civilization and Honor And Glory with the Western European. Either if we merged games there would still be problems with leadership, we are a locally based team, Honor And Glory is on the web.

I'd be happy to help with research if you need it...

India at this period of time was a patchwork of dozens of states, so they may need to be renamed...

Also, the Ottomans were only around for the second era of your mod (1299-1923). I don't know if this is a problem for what you have planned, but I just thought I'd point it out...

We haven't started research on most civilizations but we will have more knowledge as we progress, as for the Ottomans, that is actually one of the differences from the other empires which we are explaining soon.

I have some information and unit ideas for the Byzantines and Ayyubid period Egypt if you want it.

That would be excellent. As of now, I am the only researcher for the game, so we could use the extra assistance.