Reporting Spam Problem

Aldandil

• 3 weeks later...

I'm getting a few PMs every now and then to random spam links. I haven't actually clicked any of them.

Is there anyway the forums can be set to require 10 or so posts before allowing PM features on an account? And maybe 10 posts plus X days before? Would make it easier to catch and remove spammers.

Thanks for your concern. I'm intending to do something like that, though I'm looking for a better way than being forced to move all existing users to a new user group. And to be honest, as it's only been two spam PMs (though sent to a lot of people) as far as I know and both from the same person (though not the same username/IP), it's not been my highest priority. I will take care of it though, and will definitely deal with it immediately if it happens again, but for now I'll rather wait 'til I find a better way to do it.

EDIT:

:) I shouldn't have said that obviously, there just was a new spam PM sent out and I don't have time to take care of setting things up now =) I will do what I can to stop the spammer though.

Edited by feneur

I've set up things now. Am a bit uncertain at how things work though =) The thing is I've set it up so that the group new users are assigned aren't allowed to use the PM system, but that users get transferred to another user group that has those permissions after posting 10 posts. That works as expected, I'm however a bit uncertain about what's the case with current users as people who already have made more than 10 posts weren't transferred automatically. Probably it's just a matter of people having to post one more post and they're transferred to the correct group and they can use the PM system again, shouldn't be any trouble as most people who will not make at least one new post probably aren't interested in using the PM system anyway. The problem would be if everyone who has had access to the PM system still has as the spammer seems to have registered a whole bunch of user accounts some time ago.

So, would anyone please check and see if you can access the PM system? As far as I can see none of you regular users shouldn be able to access it at the moment, though if you can things are a bit more difficult as then everyone who registered before today might have access to it.