Incredible Stuff

Xen

Just found out about this thing- its really awesome! I've been craving a new AOE style game that would revisit the original source, and given that ensemble studios no longer exists, well...

...thank god there looks to be a real game out there that could bring sweet relief for the gamer who desires to wage his wars well before christ, and dosnt like the Total War style of game!

Hey there- I suppose there isnt a @#$% load to know, or at least that'd I'd go over out of the blue, but I'm a history major/pondering switching over to archeology major who'll be entering my real core fields of study soon. I'm not a huge gamer myself, but prefer a more casual play more then anything else. For a long time I eschewed RTS in favor of TBS games like civ, but it wasnt helped that the last RTS I got myself was Age of Mythology- no RTS has intrigued me since then, other then the Total war games, which weren't my thing. For the above reason, if anyone here has spent any time in a place called "CFC" I might have some name recognition from that, though I havent been an active member in that community for a while.

I joined up just to say how awesome I think this project is- you guys could have a really big success with this thing (y)

Edited by Xen

Hey there- I suppose there isnt a @#$% load to know, or at least that'd I'd go over out of the blue, but I'm a history major/pondering switching over to archeology major who'll be entering my real core fields of study soon.

Hey, me too!

Well, I'm actually doing history + secondary education (specializing in integrated social sciences) double major, but I've been considering on becoming an archaeology major as well. But the thing is though, it would throw me off, so I think I've decided to wait until I get my two above majors before I do anything rash.

Anyway, question: Why are you considering archaeology? I'm considering mainly because

1) Many of the areas I am thinking of specializing in have very little recorded historical record.

2) Archaeology seems to becoming a greater part of history, meaning you can't do an accurate history without archaeology.

3) Many history books in the library done by historians, rather than archaeologists, seem to be reevaluations of historical events with just the author's opinions, rather than a reevaluation based on new evidence.

4) Archaeology just seems so much more appealing! Looking at historic documents is cool, but as an archaeologist, you can actually go to these places and discover new things--which include new documents--while historians just use what's available. There just seems to be a sense of being on some sort of 'frontier'.

So, why are you considering archaeology?

well, there are pros and cons to it- generally speaking, I was considering History major because its a FAR better be to keep a stable relationship in- a close friend of mine has gotten screwed over royally (before I met him) in two relationships (one of which, had circumstances been different, could have ended up in his marriage) mainly because they were both archeologists, and without getting into details, their professors pretty much unknowingly screwed them over at the same time. He has gotten a PH.D in early Spanish colonial archeology, along with the Mesoamerican civ interest that spawned him inot that sub field, but the situation he's in now money and career wise -let alone relationship wise- is really scary stuff. I mean, as much as i like my friend, I don't want to end up in his position, and he has said as much to me about it before.

The flip side is that a period that strongly interests me- the late stages of the neolithic to the bronze age in southern Europe inst a period really covered by historical texts outside of the Greek myths, legends, and epics- and that doesn't even loosely begin to cover western European civilizations like fabled old Tartessos. In order to really do anything with them it certainly involves doing archeology for a living.

Xen...

Why not anthropology (y) Cultural or physical... maybe even lingual could be interesting enough. Its much the same thing but more fluid and open to interpretation.

A degree in anthro can be applied to a lot of things as well, like a photographer (work at nat geo), journalism, history too, etc etc.

If I wasn't such an artist I'd piously be persueing cultural anthropology, nothing more fascinating than concretely studying alternative ways of everything and looking for the puzzle peices as to why it is rather than just how it is.

Also... I want juicy details about your story. People are getting screwed over left and right these days, I wouldn't pin it specifically to their careers in archeology. Unless you have juicy details to support this claim.

Edited by Aeros

but the situation he's in now money and career wise -let alone relationship wise- is really scary stuff.

Aye, my parents advised me against archaeology because they believed that keeping a good stable job would be a problem. Personally I didn't really like the advice, but my rational self told me it was sound. Archaeology isn't exactly a job in high demand.

So that's why I settled on education: Not only is there always demand for my skills somewhere-but I could still do archaeology work during the summer if I wanted.

Xen...

Why not anthropology (y) Cultural or physical... maybe even lingual could be interesting enough. Its much the same thing but more fluid and open to interpretation.

A degree in anthro can be applied to a lot of things as well, like a photographer (work at nat geo), journalism, history too, etc etc.

If I wasn't such an artist I'd piously be persueing cultural anthropology, nothing more fascinating than concretely studying alternative ways of everything and looking for the puzzle peices as to why it is rather than just how it is.

Also... I want juicy details about your story. People are getting screwed over left and right these days, I wouldn't pin it specifically to their careers in archeology. Unless you have juicy details to support this claim.

lol, as for the juicy details, well it would be rude of me to anything more indepth then i already have about his story- though perhaps I can arrange for you to "meet" him on the interweb itself, though that will probably take a few days to organize- I'll shoot you a PM about it in a day or two ;)

And as for the anthro route- perhaps its worth taking a look into! Its always been there, floating around the back of my head a 'possibility of a possibility' but never something I focused my attention on too much, given that much of the potential field work for some of the more remote tribes and populations that might be of interest to me... well, dosent entice me much. Would much rather dig around in the dirt of a nice Italian summer along the coast then trundle around a jungle for a few months/years.

But perhaps its worth looking into specifics, and not let those stereotypes take hold. God knows that i probably wouldn't end up with that Italian dream anyways :o

lol, as for the juicy details, well it would be rude of me to anything more indepth then i already have about his story- though perhaps I can arrange for you to "meet" him on the interweb itself, though that will probably take a few days to organize- I'll shoot you a PM about it in a day or two (y)

And as for the anthro route- perhaps its worth taking a look into! Its always been there, floating around the back of my head a 'possibility of a possibility' but never something I focused my attention on too much, given that much of the potential field work for some of the more remote tribes and populations that might be of interest to me... well, dosent entice me much. Would much rather dig around in the dirt of a nice Italian summer along the coast then trundle around a jungle for a few months/years.

But perhaps its worth looking into specifics, and not let those stereotypes take hold. God knows that i probably wouldn't end up with that Italian dream anyways ;)

Anthropology isn't just working with remote tribes and populations. That is more specifically an Ethnographer, a sub branch of Ethnology, which in turn is a sub branch of Cultural Anthropology. Cultural Anthropology itself is a sub branch of the entire discipline of Anthropology. To easier explain, here's an outline.

Anthropology

1. Cultural Anthropology

a. Anthropological Linguistics

i. Historical Linguistics

ii. Descriptive or Structural Linguistics

*. Sociolinguistics

b. Archaeology

i. Historical Archaeology

c. Ethnology (also called cultural anthropology)

i. Ethnography

ii. Ethnohistory

iii. Cross-Cutural Research

2. Biological Anthropology

a. Human Paleontology (also called Paleoanthropology)

i. Primatology

b. Human Variation

Then, of course, there is Applied Anthropology, where you use the research done in the above areas and from other disciplines to solve current problems. This could mean you're working for a business as a economic or psychological anthropologist, a government as a political or educational anthropologist, or something else.

Simply said, there is a lot of anthropology that does not mean you're living with exotic cultures. In fact, a lot of it is working with businesses or governments or other organizations by applying anthropological knowledge to solve problems like "why can't this multi-national business team get along?" or "why is this one manufacturing plant in Ohio out producing the one in Michigan?" or even "why are kids on this side of town succeeding in their local school, and the kids on the other side of town aren't?" Etc, etc.

Edited by Cassador_Chris