Will the beta be released this year?

Crunchy Ostrich

Will the beta be released this year?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Will the beta be released this year?

• Yes
    • No

I was thinking whether opensourcing will help the game.

Well, if it is GPL compatible, it can be incorporated into Linux distributions. However, it is too large for this in greater scale.

Well, I can tell you, that at least soon after you open the code, this will be done for openSUSE. Although unofficially as I have found capable packager, who promised me to do it and that it is no problem.

Apart from that, I'm rather sceptic about other distributions.

Also, theoretically, it can bring in some new people. But as you know, talk is cheap and I wouldn't expect anything extraordinary.

Also, other game developers will borrow your code for other OSS game and maybe offer some cooperation in return so your game can start another excellent projects and get credit and help in return.

However, there is risk that other developers will "borrow" your code for own commercial projects and earn money on your work. It is difficult to find out (if it is even possible) and even harder to prove it.

Another disadvantage is, that it means additional work like documentation and so (do you comment sources during development a lot or not?, fully commented sources could be enough).

Conclusion:

I, personally, appreciate your decision. Although it can give you a lot, most probably it won't except additional work.

So, don't expect too much, don't put too much effort into it (which could delay main work on development) and keep up a good work.

Thank you.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well the thing that i hate to say and i truley hate to say...is sc2 very well seems like a downfall for this game....i know you guys are pooring your heart and soul into this game but what ur lacking is a million dollar budget! lol why dont you charge for this game? you know we will buy it and that would re assure us that future expansions will come! and it could help as an insintive for you guys ...im will to pay at most 20 usa dollars for this game and im sure theres a lot of people taht would agree with me!

actually a little info for you i do share my money ive donated over 150 dollars to my clans website and i do plan on donating around 75 dollars to wfg soo stick that in you pipe and smoke it....i said nothing about graphics...im talkin about game engines and a lot of other things that sc2 other wise known as STARCRAFT 2 (i thought everyone knew that) has a budget for!

actually a little info for you i do share my money ive donated over 150 dollars to my clans website and i do plan on donating around 75 dollars to wfg soo stick that in you pipe and smoke it....i said nothing about graphics...im talkin about game engines and a lot of other things that sc2 other wise known as STARCRAFT 2 (i thought everyone knew that) has a budget for!

Hm. Personal attack? Nice.

And game engine is what? Mainly visual side. Better engine allows you to use nicer effects, more detailed models ...

I didn't say I don't know Starcraft 2. I asked whether this is what you mean with SC2.

No attacks.

Be quiet, and that goes to the both of you.

DoD_<insert name here>, if you want to donate, Donate. Just don't expect preferential treatment.

Donating has been discussed here before, and I'm sure if they wanted to buy an engine they would have taken the necessary steps.

And not made the whole open source thing a 'selling' point.

Belisarivs, graphics may not be everything... but they do make a whole lotta difference.

From what we've all seen, there won't be any Aesthetically Dis-agreements. Everything looks shweet.

To both of you, talk about StarCraft 2 on a StarCraft 2 Forum.

People come here to talk about (and listen to people doing the former) 0AD and the Pyrogenesis Engine (and to a lesser extent TLA). If you want to make a suggestion, make a feasible one... or at least one that multiple people (in differing groups, before the DoD people rebut) have disscussed.

That is all.