Smoking Kills

Am glad I've never even thought about starting smoking, but this makes me even more convinced that smoking is something to stay away from. I found it interesting, and more than anything sad, that so many relatives still continued to smoke, even after seeing the effects so smoke. A powerful story, let's just hope it's powerful enough to make at least a few stop smoking.

• 1 month later...

bed.jpg

My ex-wife's grandmother looked like this when she died of Pancreatic cancer. The day we find the cure for cancer will be a good day indeed. It's coming though - there are many very very promising therapies in the pipeline that should become available for wide use within about 5 years or so. There might come a day where cancer can be endured like HIV can be endured (with heavy therapies). Hopefully the curing therapies for cancer won't be as expensive as those for AIDS.

• 6 months later...

Man, you can find a horror story like this for anything. Smoking is just like anything else, keep it in moderation and it's not that bad, but yeah if you smoke like a pack a day that's gonna mess you up.

--------------------

Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets. - Arthur Miller

rc car parts small dog beds patio table sets

The day we find the cure for cancer will be a good day indeed. It's coming though - there are many very very promising therapies in the pipeline that should become available for wide use within about 5 years or so. There might come a day where cancer can be endured like HIV can be endured (with heavy therapies). Hopefully the curing therapies for cancer won't be as expensive as those for AIDS.

You can't really endure cancer, it's not like HIV, cancer (serious kinds, because some are harmless.) is extremely aggressive and you might as well attempt to destroy all the cancerous cells instead of just suppressing what is already there.

HIV/AIDS destroys white bloods cells and treatments only slow the loss of white blood cells.

Cancer can be suppressed and endured for some time but the reality is these same treatments are killing your healthy cells along with the cancerous ones.

The side effects of medication for HIV/AIDS is pretty bad but it's nothing when compared with chemotherapy and other treatment for cancer. With HIV/AIDS you can increase doses and mix around with the drugs but with cancer for many people, they reach a point where accelerating or increasing treatment would kill them and the existing treatment isn't stopping the cancer from growing and spreading.

There are many promising treatments involving proteins, viruses, drugs and many other things.

The thing I'm hoping for is much greater access to things like MRIs. The advances I see will be in technology and early detection with that technology. The key to success is not a magic pill or therapy, it's in detection.

My dad is a scientist who researches cancer and tries to find ways to treat it so I know all about this.

Edited by Silver

• 1 month later...