Whats with the lack of updates?

Banoffee

Imagine that you are one of developers of 0AD.

You have vacation, you want rest, enjoy some pub visits with friends and probably you also have to study because exams at uni are approaching. And of course there is non profit project which takes lot of your time for several years but gives nothing back except gained skills which may be useful once.

Which activity you'd choose first?

Actually, not many volunteer projects of such size get so far.

Only few old community members are still active.

Requests for another pictures don't motivate guys about 0AD. But displaying support and appreciation does.

We can be happy for devs work, really like it, but we definitely can't make any requests.

Not that we would be punished, but because it is morally unacceptable.

I know that you didn't want to hurt anyone or so, but please keep this in mind.

There is progress being done. Once faster, once slower, but continual.

That is more than we can ask.

I'm a bit confused since I thought they'd be Chrsitmas preveiws and New Year showcases. But there has been no updates in the new since november ;)

You mean updates like these?

http://wildfiregames.com/0ad/album_page.php?pic_id=12137

http://wildfiregames.com/0ad/album_page.php?pic_id=12141

http://wildfiregames.com/0ad/album_page.php?pic_id=12145

Those kind of updates? (y)

May I suggest you something then?

You do it wrong way. If you already have nice work, you should advertise it. Tease future players/modders/whatever.

This must draw attention of many people. Remember, strong community is must. Also, keep in mind that this can mean also mode menpower for your work as some people from community will gladly help you.

Now it seems to me, that you are almost hiding screens. Not that you do it, but personally, I'd put any picture at main page so any random visitor comes and sees that cool work, is attracted and perhaps can even offer help.

It doesn't mean any additional work and should have no negative side effects.

May I suggest you something then?

You do it wrong way. If you already have nice work, you should advertise it. Tease future players/modders/whatever.

This must draw attention of many people. Remember, strong community is must. Also, keep in mind that this can mean also mode menpower for your work as some people from community will gladly help you.

Now it seems to me, that you are almost hiding screens. Not that you do it, but personally, I'd put any picture at main page so any random visitor comes and sees that cool work, is attracted and perhaps can even offer help.

It doesn't mean any additional work and should have no negative side effects.

Stfu, just because you can't wait to see what greatness they have instore for us, doesn't mean you can act like a @#$%. It's the same with every other game company, they wait to show what they have made. (y)

Stfu, just because you can't wait to see what greatness they have instore for us, doesn't mean you can act like a @#$%. It's the same with every other game company, they wait to show what they have made. ;)

Would you please relax a bit? (y)

I'm seeing more strange acting in your post than his, so while I'm sure you have no bad intentions please think about what you say and keep a nice tone on the forums, if nothing else see it as a way to help in the development. A nice and friendly environment in the forums will at least not make people less likely to join the team or help in another way :o

I'm seeing more strange acting in your post than his, so while I'm sure you have no bad intentions please think about what you say and keep a nice tone on the forums, if nothing else see it as a way to help in the development. A nice and friendly environment in the forums will at least not make people less likely to join the team or help in another way

Deep breaths, deep breaths, we are all your friends here. (y)

I'm seeing more strange acting in your post than his, so while I'm sure you have no bad intentions please think about what you say and keep a nice tone on the forums, if nothing else see it as a way to help in the development. A nice and friendly environment in the forums will at least not make people less likely to join the team or help in another way

Deep breaths, deep breaths, we are all your friends here. (y)

I was suggesting you'd take some deep breaths, but sure just wanted to be sure that you didn't mean any harm ;)

promo3.png

OMG this is pwnage (y)

I love that screenshot ;) Am i assuming correctly that this screen is of what pops up when you open 0ad right now?

I am against knowing everything before you even buy a game...

The only thing I would like to know is when it's getting released, all other stuff, you should keep foryourselves imo.

Than how would they get anyone to "buy" it if they did'n't know anything about it. Also how would they attract people to come and join the team if no one knew about it? but i agree that knowing everything would be a bit boring.

I love that screenshot (y) Am i assuming correctly that this screen is of what pops up when you open 0ad right now?

Pretty much correct yeah ;) Or rather 100% correct in your assumption, but some small details have changed since that screenshot was taken, nothing special though.

Than how would they get anyone to "buy" it if they did'n't know anything about it. Also how would they attract people to come and join the team if no one knew about it? but i agree that knowing everything would be a bit boring.

Deciding what/how much to make public is one of the more difficult decisions we have, as you say we need to make enough public to make the game interesting enough for people to want to join the team, but still keep enough "hidden" to still be interesting to future players. That's actually the major reason to make more things available on Moddb than here, since we assume that people who are just interested in playing the game one day will be more likely to just stay on this site. The people on Moddb on the other hand are probably more likely to be interested in the modding part, and perhaps might join the team.